Thursday April 17, 2014
The worst inspection last week took place at a restaurant where the employees were unaware of proper hand washing procedures, and food storage was a problem. "Packages of dried fish stored in container with unwrapped raw meat." That's a recipe for illness.
© Judy Hedding
My list represents those restaurants (ten or more seats, but not schools, grocery stores, caterers, corporate cafeterias, bakeries or other food processing businesses) that had five or more Risk Factor violations -- those are considered a risk for foodborne illness -- during the inspection. A restaurant with that many Risk Factors would be one that I'd avoid, at least until they had subsequent inspections showing more understanding of safe food preparation standards and concern for their patrons.
Readers Comment - And So Can You
Tuesday April 15, 2014
In this issue: breakfast with a bunny, Broadway Jukebox, jazz piano and creating art after work.
This column includes announcements of seminars, workshops, community events, fundraisers and other programs for which there is an admission charge, a donation expected or you are otherwise expected to spend money (even if admission is free). Advance registration is required at some these events, so you might see them listed here weeks before they are scheduled to occur.
If you are looking for programs or activities where there is no charge for admission, you can check my weekly "Free Things To Do" column (it comes out every Monday), or check the monthly calendar of recurring annual events or the concert/show calendar -- both of those list the typically the bigger, well-known events.
Events are presented here in date order.
Monday April 14, 2014
This week you can take your pooch, watch them feed, build Lego robots, meet a poet, hear the music, pick your trees and be creative.
This column includes activities and programs in the Greater Phoenix area that have free admission. If you are looking for fundraisers, seminars, workshops, and other community programs that have an admission charge, or where donations are expected, I have a separate column for those. You can find those listings in my blog. They tend to cover a wider range of dates than a week, because advance registration is often required. For the long list of activities and festivals that are annual events -- usually the most popular, larger events -- in Greater Phoenix check the calendar.
Saturday April 12, 2014
Sometime between now and Monday you will have hopefully successfully completed your tax returns and will be able to get them E-filed or postmarked by midnight on Monday, April 15, 2014.
Then why not reward yourself! Here are some local businesses that want to help you celebrate Tax Day 2014.
- The Melting Pot: Saying the phrase, "Cheese me, please!" will get you 15% off of your entire purchase at The Melting Pot on April 15th. Guests will need to let the host know this special phrase when arranging reservations or upon arrival to the locations. Three valley locations in Ahwatukee, Arrowhead and Scottsdale.
- Salut Kitchen Bar: This Mediterranean style kitchen will offer $5 glasses of wine, all day long. Salut Kitchen Bar offers a wide array of menu items inspired by a mix of Mediterranean and American cuisine. More than 100 types of wine by the glass and bottle.
- No Tax Day at Ben & Jack's: On April 15th customers may order anything off the menu with no taxes charged to them. Old Town Scottsdale.
- Fired Pie: For just $4.15 on 4/15, you can score a one-topping pizza. Fired Pie is a fast-casual pizza eatery. Phoenix.
- Z'Tejas Little Larry Margarita: Only $4.15 all day on tax day. The Little Larry is a petite version of the 6th Street Margarita. Five locations. Z'Tejas is headquartered in Scottsdale, Arizona.
- Sprinkles Cupcakes: Buy one cupcake, get one free (limit one per person) on tax day simply by whispering the words, "tax-free" at checkout. Baked fresh in small batches throughout the day, Sprinkles cupcakes are handcrafted from the finest ingredients and contain no preservatives, transfats or artificial flavors. Scottsdale.
- Culver's All Day Tax Day: In celebration of the end of tax season, Culver's will reward guests with a $2.00 Tax Day One Scoop Turtle Sundae, prepared with roasted Southern pecans plus hot fudge and savory caramel drizzled over vanilla frozen custard, topped with a maraschino cherry. Ten locations in Greater Phoenix.
- Tax Day at Keep It Cut: Men get a free hair wash with the purchase of a haircut on Tax Day. Located at 2824 East Indian School Road, the men's hair salon offers four different monthly membership packages for unlimited haircuts.
- Kelly's At Southbridge: $4.15 Strawberry Shamrocks and $4.15 Kelly's Martinis all day long on April 15th, and any sandwich or burger with a side for $10.40. Old Town Scottsdale.
- Tax Day Tuesday at Ra Sushi: Happy hour typically runs from 3 to 7 p.m., but on this specific day it will be offered from 3 p.m. until close at all five Valley locations. Guests can choose from more than 35 sushi, appetizer, and tapas selections ranging from $2.75 to $7.75, plus a wide variety of beer, wine, sake, and signature cocktails ranging from $3.75 to $7.75.
- Bruegger's Bagels 1040 Tax Day Deal: Authentic New York-style bagels baked fresh will help take the sting out of tax weekend with the annual $10.40 promotion. From April 12 through Tax Day, April 15, guests pay just $10.40 at participating locations for their choice of 13 bagels and two tubs of Bruegger's Bagels cream cheese. Phoenix and Gilbert.
- Put More fun in Your Tax Refund at Octane: Octane Raceway is reFUNding you this April. Buy two races and get one free. One offer per person. Not valid with groups or other offers. Races valid for one person, Mon - Fri with non-member races prices. Expires 4/30/14. Scottsdale (map).
You Might Also Be Interested In....