1. Travel

Judy Hedding

Arizona Food Stamp Program

By June 25, 2004

You might know someone who is having a hard time financially. When families fall on difficult times, it is important that they continue to get nutritious food to eat.

The Food Stamp Program allows low-income families to buy nutritious food with coupons and Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) cards. Food stamp recipients spend their benefits to buy eligible food in authorized retail food stores.

Food Stamps in Arizona
Comments
February 12, 2010 at 8:01 pm
(1) Frederick W. Arhart says:

To who it may concern

I have been patiently and do fully filling out the applications for food stamps for going on 2 months. TWICE it has given false information saying it was accepted. And yes I have called the help line. And thought it was taken care of. Now here again I have filled an application out. It says to validate case numbers that don’t appear
i don”t have access to computers all the time.
can you look in to this and advise me what to do?.

Thank You ! !
Fred Arhart

February 12, 2010 at 8:38 pm
(2) Judy Hedding says:

Hi Fred,

I would check at this link for the office serving your zip code and call or go there for help.

May 11, 2010 at 12:37 pm
(3) nicole says:

People who are getting food stamps should only be able to receive food items on the upper tier of the food pyramid. This does not include sodas, candy bars or foods high in carbohydrates. My tax dollars go into programs that assist Americans who are already morbidly obese and do not take care of their bodies. People are abusing the system. From a nutritional perspective individuals should only be able to choose healthy food items. Lets merge AHCCCS and the WIC program.

June 13, 2010 at 10:36 am
(4) Judith Bovee says:

I have been trying to get help with food stamps. 2 seniors husband 85 wife 68. I can never get thru on the phone but finally a person named Keith called while we were napping and left an 800 number. But tried for two days to call it and no answer ? Now what ? Things are getting pinchy :( Judy Bovee

June 13, 2010 at 12:00 pm
(5) Judy Hedding says:

Hi Judith,

Unfortunately, they are inundated with calls and requests. The best thing to do is to apply online:

If you are concerned about your computer skills, some senior centers and libraries have assistance for these kind of things (although they may have a charge for printing).

At that same page you can find a link to download the application to your computer if you don’t want to apply online.

Maybe you wrote down the wrong number? Is it 800-352-8401?

If you are still stuck, you might have to actually go down to a DES office to get help with the application. You can locate an office near you on this page:

I hope that helps.

July 8, 2010 at 4:12 pm
(6) jim says:

I have to agree with nicole. How can it be called a ‘nutrition’ program when recipients are allowed to spend money on sodas, snack items, and junk food in general. I have no idea how many times I have seen people buy a couple of RockStar energy drinks and candy bars with their EBT card and then pay cash for a carton of cigarettes. I too believe the nutrition program should be modeled after the WIC program which is angled toward proper nurtrition education limiting the selection of items to ‘healthy’ choices.

February 14, 2011 at 8:37 pm
(7) Helen says:

Instead of worrying about people who are overweight using food stamps abusively, how about if we worry about people using food stamp money (the tax payers pay into)to get Monster, Red Bull and the list goes on. The price is terrible high and if you go into Ranch Market, Fry’s, Sam’s you can see people using their food stamps for that and buying very little food.
Excuse me but a lot of people not on food stamps who work everyday of their lives and can not afford Energy Drinks. Last time I noticed a lady at Ranch Market on 67th and Camelback paid over 50.00 of her food stamp money for it.
We are cutting back on Medical Care that people need, lets get rid of the Energy Drinks.

February 14, 2011 at 9:36 pm
(8) Phyllis says:

You are so correct.. I have seen the monster drink as high as 1.40 each, and have seen pple buy it with food stamps..While working people try to buy good foods for their family, these food stamp people are buying junk foods.. Seems to me that they are eating decent meals else where and using the food stamps for all the extras! If a person is handicap,older,have some sort of problems, then by all means let them have the food stamps.. These people who live with family,boyfriends,friends,or whatever and are able to work, but do not, then why do I have to pay for them buying all sorts of non foods. I have been offered to buy food stamps for cash from people standing outside a store…In a time our state is having a hard time,wouldnt it be good to have better rules, and have some control over what is being bought with food stamps??? Food stamps are for people who need to put food on the table, cokes, candy, chips, are not food..

March 16, 2011 at 9:51 pm
(9) Blanca says:

Cookies chips etc…are food.Just not healthy food that should not be eaten so often.Cookies might be for their kids to eat with a glass of milk and chips maybe a snack.I think people have the right to spend the money how ever they feel convenient. I’ve witnessed Homeless sharing their donations within eachother to buy food at fast food restaurants and Honestly giving Money to people asking for donations after a family tragedy.So why do WE want to put restrictions to people???Restrictions on what to buy is so stressful and meaning less..people will eventually get tired of eating the same over and over every month. Wouldn’t you?The best things for kids are not covered!like cereal with fruit or even availability to buy more formula is not offered!Juices where covered by WIC before!and now… they are making kids obese??According to “investigations.”
EVERYTHING with out moderation makes people obese and sick!so If those people buying Cookies and chips get fat they will get what they deserve..don’t you think? and those drinking red bull or monsters will eventually get a heart attack!! and the way you are thinking you will have one less to feed.Those are some good thoughts your thinking!God bless your thoughts..people ask for help because they need it.All I ask for is for them to use it wisely and think “Would I buy this if it was money I worked for?”People do have different morals so… God bless them and I hope they(people who dont need it) give a chance to people who really need Nutrition Assistance.

April 2, 2011 at 1:52 pm
(10) Helen says:

I was in shock last night when I heard on the news that the Governor of Arizona thinks it would be helpful to Arizona (monetarily) to charge a fee to anyone who while on Medicare/Medicaid: Smoke, has diabetes or is overweight. How does she think this is right if she can not even control all the people who are getting food stamps every month and are abusing them. For instance I know a person who is living in the mother’s home with the mother (who is working) the step-father, another adult (not family member) another adult (not family member) and the daughter of the person who is getting food stamps. The mother of the person getting food stamps is also getting State Aid from Arizona as she is the Guardian of the grand-daughter. The food stamps are used in exchange for cigarettes, booze, etc. for the person receiving the food stamps, not to mention clothes, and other assorted sundries.
Is it possible that we could start with families like these instead of cutting Medicare/Medicaid payments down because a person who is “BUYING” their own cigarettes, smokes.
I might add that I think it would be considerate of the Governor and everyone else voting on this measure to consult the people who are paying taxes for the numerous illegals who get health care, food stamps, etc., that is to include the Americans who can work, but would rather live off those of us who do or have in the past worked and do pay taxes.
I realize their are people on Food Stamp Assistance who deserve it, I also realize there are a lot of people who can not get help because of those who get it and do not deserve it.

May 14, 2011 at 7:49 am
(11) julie says:

What kind of sham is this!! I am looking to your website to find information on food stamps, and once I entered my phone number, I received four texts regarding quizs and monetary amounts to sign up to stupid things such as car racing, how many caloris do you burn during sex, etc. “WARNING” to anyone who trys to use this website, IT IS A JOKE! AND I’D BETTER NOT BE CHARGED FOR THIS CRAP! I don’t know if I am the only one who experienced this, but beware!

May 14, 2011 at 10:52 am
(12) Judy Hedding says:

Hello julie,

I don’t know where you were or what you clicked on, but there isn’t anywhere in my article where people are asked to provide a phone number. You must have clicked off on an ad and ended up on another site. You mention being charged. Did you provide a credit card number? If you did, again, it was not at my site since I don’t request that information anywhere. Why would you give someone a credit card number to inquire about food stamps? Please monitor your credit card EVERY DAY, either online or by the toll-free number on the back of your card where you can get details on recent charges and notify the credit card company of any fraud that you detect there.

The link to my article about food stamps is this one: http://phoenix.about.com/od/govtoff/a/foodstamps.htm. The link to the place where you can apply in Arizona is under #5 in my article, here: https://www.healthearizona.org/app/Default.aspx.

July 1, 2011 at 4:57 pm
(13) Samantha says:

Maybe everyone should be more concerned with themselves then what people are spending there food stamps on….seriously. Also you cant buy energy drink with food stamps…..just saying. If all of you spent more time with your families then commenting about other peoples business life would be better, also yes taxpayer pay for the government programs, heres a clue, even if they didnt have foodstamps you would still have to pay taxes….learn your economy before you complain

July 20, 2011 at 9:11 pm
(14) Helen says:

Samantha it appears to me you obviously do not understand the economy. It is true we would still have to pay taxes, but why should I pay for someone to sit on their “duffs” and feed them when it is not necessary. I am more than willing for my taxes to go to people who truly need it, my problem is the lazy people who think it is alright to sit around watch TV and do drugs at 18,21,24 or any other age and collect food stamps, which in most cases they sell, when they could be working . Yet the families and the elderly and the handicapped are turned down because we are running out of money. If people want to lay around and they are not handicapped, elderly, or families in need, then let them starve or get a “JOB”. I worked from the time I was 16 until the time I was 62 and had cancer and it sure did not hurt me, therefore, I think it is time the Government started paying more attention to who gets help and maybe the “Taxpayers” would not be so quick to complain. I get the feeling you probably would not understand “Taxpayer” just from what you wrote, so “Oh Well”. Have a good day.

September 12, 2011 at 5:28 pm
(15) Anna V. says:

I can’t believe this. The paragraph above states “The Food Stamp Program allows low-income families to buy nutritious food”. However, when I looked at what is allowed on the link “Food Stamps in Arizona”, I found out a person can buy candy, sodas and chips!!!!! I don’t think that anyone with two brain cells would think that this is nutritious food. I have never been on food stamps and probably never would be. If I had a financial issue, I would consider it foolish to waste resources on such garbage. I rarely buy such things even though I can afford it. Empty calories. I resent my hard earned tax dollars being used to support some one else’s junk food habits!!!
rrrrrrrrrrrr.

June 25, 2012 at 8:27 pm
(16) Mitzgrl says:

I am trying to apply for EBT Food Benefits and the website I have gone to, through several different sources including the link you’ve given in an earlier post, just takes me through circles leading to nowhere. First, when I enter my name and phone number on the first page then click “next”, I get a message saying I’ve been logged out of my account. I wasn’t logged in, that I know of. Then if I use the “forgot login info” link, I answer the secret questions and am told the answers are incorrect. I didn’t consider myself a total idiot with websites, but this has got me stumped. Can you help?
Thanks

June 25, 2012 at 9:32 pm
(17) Judy Hedding says:

Hi Mitzgrl. Sorry you are having trouble. As you can tell by this thread, you are not the only one! Have you tried logging out, clearing your cache on your browser (or going to another computer) and trying again? Here are instructions on how to clear your cache. http://video.about.com/pcsupport/Clear-Internet-Cache.htm

December 6, 2012 at 3:11 pm
(18) Teresa says:

Where or how do I go about reporting someone that is getting foodstamps ,when they are lying about their income and who lives with the? I am in much need of help for me and my elderly blind husband and I have always been denied, because we donot have a brood of kids; yet we have always worked and been part of the people that have to pay thru taxes for this services. I hate to see women who rip and live of the state programs yet they have a full time working man living with them but not included as their household, so they can rip off the state!

December 6, 2012 at 3:22 pm
(19) Judy Hedding says:

Hi Teresa,
You can report AZ food stamp fraud either online or by phone. This link should help:

January 21, 2013 at 5:11 am
(20) miss il says:

People are probably obese because they cant afford that minute maid nourish your brain fruit juice instead they will get the tampico juice which is cheaper. And why is everyone saying people get a lot of foodstamps in arizona? Sometimes I cant barely make it with a monthly check. they dont count phone bills, hospital bills,or dental bills which is a necesity, tioletries hygiene products or that I buy monthly passes everymonth as if its ok 2 walk when its 115 degrees. With my fixed income I give my sis sometimes up to 50 dollars because for a family of 4 she receives 86 dollars fs. Her hubbys income which is $1400 monthly after all taxes taken cant survive with electricty bills rent etc. so they sometimes use credit cards to buy food. I feel bad for them. Now they want 2 give them 60 in fs monthly because she need 2 go 2 a trainin but it doesnt make sense she has 2 drive several places and waste gas. the food stamp office is not satisfied with one workin member in the family. this is ridiculous. What the foodstamp office in AZ needs to do is have a limit in large families, its not fair a family of 8 receive over 900 in foodstamps while others are struggling just because they are married. I live in a place where i dont pay electric bills but theres a lady who husband is a taxi driver and recieve $500 in foodstamps now is that fair? thats not right. If I could get a $4.00 total cereal with fiber over a rice crispies, i would but it is hard and Im from nyc they help you more and food prices are getting higher in arizona. If u go 2 foodbanks U have 2 make sure u look thourouly at your food because it might be expired..Im just saying this is a hard state to live. and I reallly do feel bad for people in AZ who have absolutely no help at all and are in worse situaltion than us.