1. Local

Judy Hedding

Looking For An Arizona Sex Offender

By September 19, 2007

I received an email recently from someone signing her message as "Concerned citizen and mother of two from Scottsdale, Arizona."

How can one go about getting information on a person who was convicted of a child sex crime nearly 15 years ago, and is a level 1 sex offender? No public registries display level 1 offenders. So how can I get that information on a person? Is it public info? This person was convicted in Massachusetts and now lives in Glendale, Arizona. [Personal information about the person about which the concerned mother is trying to find information is deleted here]. I just want to see if she was convicted, she claims it is untrue, but she has been caught in so many lies before by many people! Thank you for any help, I will appreciate it!

I did reply to the concerned mother that Arizona does not release information to the public relative to Level 1 sex offenders. It is not public information.

Arizona Sex Offenders
Stringer/Getty

I have to say, there are some unusual aspects to this request; there was something else going on here. Fifteen years ago? I've got to assume that either the child involved was the concerned mother's, or the Level 1 sex offender was a relative or someone she knows rather well. Believe me, there are plenty of Level 1 (and worse) sex offenders living closer to Scottsdale to be concerned about. Well, it's not my place to ask, and, honestly, I really don't want to know.

Some of you might not be aware that a new law went into effect on September 19, 2007. Now, registered sex offenders are not allowed to set up residence within 1,000 feet of a school or day care center, and they must report their Internet identities, such as e-mail addresses, to be included in Arizona's sex-offender registry database. That's good news. Get more information about locating Arizona's sex offenders, including how many sex offenders we have in the state and in Maricopa County.

Connect With Judy:
Twitter | Facebook | Free Newsletters

Comments

September 25, 2007 at 6:31 pm
(1) Karen says:

Oh, so lets see, the public can find out how much you paid for your home, whom you married and divorced, but this isnt public record? Why are they protected? Everyone of those sickos should have a tattoo on there forehead, saying what they are and what they did… period, they have no rights, none, They gave all that up when they hurt someone. It makes me so mad that they are protected,who protected the victim? WAKE UP PEOPLE, they belong in prison, not living next door.

February 2, 2008 at 2:43 pm
(2) Anonymous says:

Many of these folks are not even guilty. Once the government gets you in its sights, they can take you down whether you are guilty or innocent. What would you do if you knew you were perfectly innocent, a trial would cost you $30,000 and the distinct possibility of a mandatory 30-year jail term, while a plea would be a 3-year parole and registration as a sex offender? Read David Feige’s book.

February 7, 2008 at 1:34 am
(3) dylanspeak says:

Wake up, Karen–most of these people have paid their debt to society, and we live in the United States. Everyone has rights.

I’m related to someone convicted of a child sex offense, and I can tell you for a fact that it’s not a clear cut case of “who protected the victim?” The “victim” in that case lied about the relationship and being victimized by it (she’s the one that initiated it!), but because we live in times where it’s assumed that children never lie and to ask her to make up the holes in her story would be tantamount to “victimizing” her again. Who is protecting the victim?! Well, in my case, everyone was. My relative never had a chance, because NO ONE WANTED TO HEAR THE TRUTH.

November 13, 2008 at 1:05 pm
(4) anonymous says:

Level one sex offenders are able to be learned about only by a written request at the Arizona DPS offices is what I learned. You must obtain the full printout of all sex offenders and search it for yourself. Additionally, level one is considered least likely to reoffend and many of them have “victimless” crimes, meaning the act they were convicted for may not have involved another actual person. Instead the crime may have included the image or suggestion of a child.

November 24, 2008 at 9:02 pm
(5) Johhny J says:

Any weight to the fact that kids do lie and/or exaggerate facts (a pat on the bottom from Grandpa)becomes fondling during an interrogation from a “skilled” professional… an insinuation can ruin a life. Not to minimize it, I realize there are those that do… but why single out a group of people that could be your Grandpa, brother, uncle, trusted friend, or your well screened day care provider… hell lets castrate all males at birth then… why even take “a chance”! OHHH GOD how can “the Law” protect us from such fiends, Oh what MONSTERS!!! Ya know, why not have fairness in all the “Criminal” laws and just put everyone into a public database… I’d rather know that John 2 doors down Killed somebody is a drunken stupor, or Bob 3 blocks away is a thief, and all guys that beat their wife and families, check forgers, drug dealers… everybody then should be in that “Public Felon Database” would that make you all feel sooooo safe and warm & fuzzy? Whats in your Closet?

Think about it…

December 3, 2008 at 11:44 pm
(6) anonomys says:

Karen, by stateing that you just made them a victim. Yes what they have done was wrong. But if you are so innocent what makes you so special? Law is the law even for you. Everytime you speed you break the law, every time you take something that dont belong to you you break the law. You hurt people when you call people names. Victim is a victim, is a victim. No matter what you want to call it. No matter the crime. You have no idea of theis people before they have done anything. Thank you for makeing snap judgements, remember to forgive is to be devine, and if you like to take it a step further, Judgement is mine sayth the Lord.

April 24, 2009 at 8:41 pm
(7) phisex offlip says:

today,04/24/09 I recevied a letter from the A.D.P.S. Over 15 yrs.ago i walked in on my now x wife with another guy.Idid sign a plea,but because of the type of (new)offence iwas told i would not be considered a registered sex offender can someone help me??

April 24, 2009 at 8:47 pm
(8) Judy Hedding says:

Not sure what kind of help you are looking for. I would contact the Maricopa County Bar Association and ask if they can give you a referral for legal assistance.

May 14, 2009 at 8:48 pm
(9) Mark says:

Its funny that were all wrapped up in sex offenders…..Im more curious about MURDERS> RAPISTS> ABUSERS and everything else. I dont like offenders but there are far more dangerous people lurking around out there. !

October 3, 2009 at 2:25 am
(10) Darlene Troila says:

I am so outraged that I have to go to web site to web site to find out if someone is a sex offender. It has just been brought to my attention that a person I have just got to know may be sex offender against young children. I do not want go on hear say, but I am worried and I do have 4 children. When you go on web sites it can be very random and it seems pretty crazy to me that I should have to pay a fee to see who is a sex offender. I just want to make sure my children are safe.

October 3, 2009 at 12:25 pm
(11) Judy Hedding says:

Hi Darlene,

I don’t know what you are referring to, unless you clicked on an advertisement. My article explains the process, and links directly to the official Arizona sex offender registery. There is no fee for using it.

Judy

May 9, 2010 at 8:31 pm
(12) mary says:

I’m looking for my ex-husband. Name of Tracy JamesTreasure . He also goes by TJ Treasure. He is an sex offender from Wyoming

December 9, 2011 at 3:51 pm
(13) Anonymous says:

To those stating that most of these people are not guilty or that we should not be allowed to find out about them, read this article.

This guy used to work for the contractor doing some remodeling on my office. He molested children with special needs, kids he was supposed to be helping, and he always made comments about it to me. It took every ounce of strength I have not to hit him in the face when he said some of the things he said. Which makes me wonder, how could they list him as a Level 1? He clearly still has thoughts about little kids…

May 26, 2013 at 6:38 pm
(14) Daveand Angie says:

I agree! I am an ex-con and sincerely believe law makers and corrections staff protect them! They must be creepy pedifile sympathizers because these people, if it is proven,should never get out…one strike for you sick S.O.B’s! Us convicts try to make sure they can’t make it out to do it again(AND THEY WILL!!) but if they(prison guards) even think you look at one wrong they put us in the hole. Not that I ever let it stop me from doing whatever I could with as little risk of a life sentence as I could manage! I may be an outlaw but we have more morals than the law makers.It bugs me when people put us all in the same CRIMINAL category! If anyone says contrary to this I bet you are a chimo sympathizer.I am the best neighbor to have! I have never hurt no women,elderly or children and if I saw it happen to my neighbors I would be there and not just to call cops! community needs to connect with weekly gatherings of some sort.In prison us fellas keep scum bag criminal types in line…not even stealing is allowed amongst our neck of the woods…this is proof that people can protect their own communities no matter how bad it is or if law says to mind your own business.support eachother, bond,eat at parks and talk about your values and politics.lose the the liberals and their hippy tolerant ideology that is ruining America…get a dog…they are more deserving of us who suffer for our virtues because the right things are not the easy.America once we were men and women who valued liberty… maybe outlaws are all thats left but put your boots on handle business or these sell outs will let your children be victims before they do anything right.They care more about me and my tattoos,my identy,whats in my pocket, than some bearded creep handing out gummie bears ! at the sandbox