1. Travel

Judy Hedding

Winter Swimming in Phoenix

By January 10, 2008

I received this email from Mary:
Hi Judy!
I have a question about public swimming pools. It seems as though public swimming pools around here are only open for several months in the summer. Do you know of any year round public pools (indoor or outdoor) that offer adult lap swimming? In Oregon, where I am from originally, the city parks and recreation department had public pools that were open all year long and had both early morning and afternoon adult lap swimming times. It really made for nice exercise, and I miss it a lot.
Thanks!
Year Round Swimming in Phoenix
© Al Bello/Getty
Hi Mary, and thanks for the great question. I have added this topic to my to-do list for a permanent article at About.com Phoenix. I don't want to make you wait, though, so I did some quick research. You'll be happy to know that year-round swimming is offered at several facilities around the Greater Phoenix area. I know that Scottsdale has open pools, as does Tempe and Glendale. There may be others. Of course, there are also YMCA facilities around the Valley that have swim programs all year long.

I did not check on residency requirement or fees, so you might want to give a call before you grab your towel and your flip flops if you aren't a resident of the city where the swimming pool is located.

Let me know where you end up!

Note: As promised, I did some additional research and now have a list of places where people can go swimming year-round. Here more information about pools that are open in fall and winter.

Connect With Judy:
Twitter | Facebook | Free Newsletters
Comments
April 20, 2012 at 3:31 pm
(1) Marianne says:

This wasn’t helpful. The links took me to info about outdoor pools.

April 20, 2012 at 3:58 pm
(2) Judy Hedding says:

Hi Marianne,

Since I don’t know what you are looking for, I can’t really help. The question posed here was about year-round-swimming. The pool at Kiwanis is an indoor pool.

April 24, 2012 at 4:59 pm
(3) anon says:

I agree this article was extremely unhelpful.

April 24, 2012 at 5:58 pm
(4) Judy Hedding says:

Hi “anon”,

So do you have a question, or was today the day you just wanted to say something negative?

August 28, 2012 at 10:16 am
(5) Todd Williamson says:

I found this information and the links to be extremely helpful, just what was needed to find a lap pool taking adult swimmers on a daily basis. I am a new property owner and will definitely use the facilities identified in this article.

Thanks Judy!

August 28, 2012 at 7:20 pm
(6) Judy Hedding says:

Thanks, Todd. Your comment reminded me that I needed to write that permanent article, so I now have all the details about which pools have fall/winter swimming here.

November 12, 2012 at 2:10 pm
(7) Adam says:

Some of others frustration may come from the difficulty of determining which facilities have indoor pools. Even the link above leads me to a whole page of information looking for the Kiwanis pool. Where is that facility located? Is there a link for it? Etc.

November 12, 2012 at 2:25 pm
(8) Judy Hedding says:

Hi Adam,

I don’t know which link above you refer to since there are many. The link to Tempe takes you right to the Tempe pools page, where all the details about Kiwanis, including the fact that it is indoor, are outlined. I hope that helps. The link to my page in the comment right above yours also includes the link directly to the Kiwanis pool page.

Of course, I can’t anticipate what every reader who comes to this page is looking for, but I am not sure what you want that I am not providing!

March 17, 2013 at 12:36 pm
(9) Gina says:

I found this page to be extremely helpful for what was asked of Judy. If I were looking for indoor or outdoor swimming in the Valley of the Sun, I feel that the question was answered.
I was on this page looking for somewhere I could take my daughter to swim for fun, since it is hot enough to be poolside now. Even though that question wasn’t answered, it also wasn’t asked.
I don’t understand people’s negativity. I now know where indoor/outdoor lap swim is available year round, and if anyone should ever ask me, I would lead them to this page.

December 23, 2013 at 8:12 pm
(10) stacy says:

Thank you Judy. I personally found this helpful. I have been looking myself for lap swimming. The Ymca is expensive so Im thinking of going to the foothills aqua park. Have a great day and Merry Christmas.