1. Travel

Judy Hedding

Free Shredding in Phoenix

By April 29, 2008

I've been writing about Phoenix for many years, and it is rare that I get a question from a reader that I haven't seen before.
Iíve scoured the about.com site and either its not there, or Iím an idiot! Iíve got the equivalent of a ream of paper that Iíd like to shred but it would take days with my personal shredder! Do you know of a place that offers free shredding for small homeowner amounts of paper? North Phoenix would be my first choice as I live near I-17 and Happy Valley. Thanks so much!
Free Shredding in Arizona
Shredded Paper © 2008 Judy Hedding
Well, you are definitely not an idiot. You couldn't find it because it wasn't there --no one ever asked me before! I have a pretty big shredder (Compare Prices) at home, because I shred all my mail when I am done with it, and at the end of the year I shred all my noncritical records and receipts, like phone bills and water bills, that I don't need for tax purposes. People who have a small shredder can do a few items at a time, like deposit slips, but if you have several pounds or a ream of paper, or you are cleaning out a house or shredding papers from your home business, a personal shredder may take too long. Here's what I found out about your question.

I did a search on the Internet and called the Arizona Center for the Blind. What a timely call! It so happens that they are having a Shred-A-Thon this coming Saturday, May 3, 2008 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at their yard located at 302 S. 28th Street in Phoenix (28th Street and Washington). You'll be well within their restrictions, since their limit is 5 regular bankers boxes per person. There is a charge per box over that amount.

Shred-A-Thons in the Greater Phoenix area are often sponsored by government agencies and banks, since those are the organizations that are trying to increase public awareness of identity theft. Each Shred-A-Thon may have different restrictions on the amount of free shredding they will do. They want to make sure that everyone who wants to use the free service gets a chance. In general, if you are looking for free paper shredding, here are four places you can call to inquire:

1. The Attorney General's Office periodically works with local recycling companies to sponsors Shred-A-Thons. Call them at 602-542-2123 to see if one is scheduled near you.
  2. The Better Business Bureau also sponsors Shred-A-Thons with local recycling companies. You can call them at 602-264-1721 to see if one is scheduled near you.
  3. Some local recyclers do their own Shred-A-Thons to promote their business. Sometimes they give out coupons at those events. You'd have to check the phone book and call some to find out.
  4. Your bank may offer free shredding from time to time.
Tip: When searching online for a Shred-A-Thon, use the name of the city with those words, like Tempe Shred-A-Thon, or Goodyear Shred-A-Thon. Make sure that if you are searching for Glendale or Peoria that you specify Arizona, since you don't want to end up with California or Illinois information. Finally, make sure you read the date of the announcement! It won't do you any good to get directions to a Shred-A-Thon that happened in 2006!
Comments
April 29, 2008 at 11:44 pm
(1) George says:

FYI, the website FileStoreShred.com provides a list of FREE paper shredding events and hazardous waste recycling events that are intended for individuals, households and home businesses. You will also find listings from across the USA and Canada.

April 30, 2008 at 1:22 am
(2) phoenix says:

Hi George,

I didn’t see any listings for the Phoenix area, although I know there are some events planned. In any case, thanks for another resource.

April 30, 2008 at 12:33 pm
(3) John says:

Watch out for Center for the blind,INC. its not a non-profit. If you dont want to wait for a shredathon I take my documents to PDShred in Mesa. You just pay $6 per box anytime

August 24, 2008 at 9:41 pm
(4) Pete says:

I am the owner of Universal Paper Shredding, Inc. We are a local family owned company that shreds on-site, We Come To You. We hold free shred day at different times in the year at different locations. If you check our web site we have a page for shred days. Some shred day we charge $5.00 per banker size box due to the overhead to have a shred event. When we have a free shred day the cost is out of our pocket. It is hard to find a sponsor that will pay for the event. If any one knows of a company that would like to sponsor an event so it is free to the public please let me know.
For the resident with a couple boxes, if you get multiple people involved the service charge is very low and includes 10 banker size boxes for free. $5.00 each box after the 10 free.
Web site: http://www.universalpapershredding.com
Pete

March 5, 2009 at 12:31 pm
(5) Steve says:

I have used ASDD in Tempe Arizona and they are wonderful. Not only do they shred your documents for free at there location a few times a year, they also do shred a thons with the Arizona Attorney General Terry Godard. Not sure it that name is spelled correctly. There parent company is The Centers for Habilitation and they provide care to people with disablities.

June 30, 2010 at 1:57 pm
(6) Tom says:

By far, the best shredding company in Phoenix is Assured Document Destruction. They come to your location and shred on-site for a very competitive fee. For small quantities they charge $5 per box or $30 per bin (8 boxes). Their customer service is the best.

November 25, 2010 at 7:08 am
(7) industrial paper shredder says:

Hi,thanks for sharing the information regarding to free paper shredding in phoenix area.Really a useful and nice article!Definitely This information would be very useful for me.Thanks so much again for sharing the information….

January 18, 2011 at 6:13 pm
(8) Kelley says:

For Shred-A-Thons in Arizona, check out shred-it’s facebook page – http://www.facebook.com/shreditarizona

January 21, 2011 at 2:49 pm
(9) Mark says:

My company has been using A-1 Shredding for the last 5 years. They come around every month and shred the paper that’s in our containers (that they provided at no cost) and then once a year they shred all of our old records. Certificate of Destruction is given to us everytime they pick up. Always on time and very affordable. I would recommend them to everyone. Thanks A-1 Shredding!
Mark

April 18, 2011 at 8:53 pm
(10) paper shredders galore says:

This was a great help for the community, by giving each other some free shredding services its like were helping our mother earth keeping the right way of disposing. And good thing our privacy is safe.

July 12, 2011 at 8:08 pm
(11) MarkV says:

This is a new google group where organizers can post events so group members can be notified. Please spread the word about this group. If the big event organizers start using it and people join, we can make things a lot more efficient… help the earth, people, etc!

Mark

July 12, 2011 at 8:11 pm
(12) MarkV says:
September 23, 2011 at 2:43 am
(13) Mark says:

FYI: I noticed Tempe is having a free shredding event on Nov. 12 (7AM to 1PM at the hazardous materials collection site on University DR). See Tempe’s web page: http://www.tempe.gov/recycling/frequently_asked_questions_about_the_shredathon.htm

It’s too bad Shred-A-Thons aren’t reported on one page. (The web page mentioned in another comment is for “Shred-It Arizona” — not Shred-A-Thons generally.).

September 23, 2011 at 11:19 am
(14) Judy Hedding says:

Hi Mark. Thanks for posting that event. I am experimenting with a new column that, unlike my weekly “Free Things To Do” column (which is more entertainment oriented) will include health screening, fundraisers, walks, workshops and other community events of interest. I’ll include the Tempe shredding event there.

October 28, 2012 at 2:00 pm
(15) Colleen says:

I am the owner of EZ Shredding Solutions, Inc. We are a local family owned company that shreds on-site, We Come To You. We hold free shred day at different times in the year at different locations. If you check our web site we have a page for shred days. When we have a free shred day the cost is out of our pocket. It is hard to find a sponsor that will pay for the event. If any one knows of a company that would like to sponsor an event so it is free to the public please let me know.
For the resident with a couple boxes, if you get multiple people involved the service charge is very low.

Please visit our website, http://www.EZShreddingSolutions.com

Thanks,