1. Local

It's official. Up until yesterday Arizona was an open carry state. Yes, all this time it has been legal for (most) people to carry a weapon (most places) without a permit as long as it was not concealed from view.
Concealed Carry in Arizona
Photo: Getty Sport
In order to receive a permit to conceal a weapon, a person had to meet several relatively simple standards (not be an illegal or a criminal or mentally incompetent or under age) and attend an 8-hour training class.

Now it is legal in Arizona to carry a concealed weapon without a permit. While there are many states that are open carry states, Arizona is now one of only three states -- Vermont and Alaska are the other two -- that allow concealed carry. There are restrictions, of course, and people can still attend a shortened version of the classes and obtain a permit if they are legally permitted to do so.

This law was vetoed several times by our previous Governor, a Democrat. It didn't take much time for her replacement, a Republican, to get this bill signed into law. Is it necessary? I don't see how requiring someone to take 8 hours of gun training is a great injustice. Will crime increase now? I doubt it; something tells me that the people who were committing crimes were probably concealing without a permit anyway. Hopefully, there won't be more accidental shootings as a result of this law.

You Might Also Be Interested In....

Comments

July 30, 2010 at 9:09 pm
(1) kris says:

I like this law. I do carry a gun, and for many reasons (I won’t go into here) declined taking the CCW. I like being able to conceal it, I used to feel like a cowboy when I had to carry it openly and walked into the market with it. Sometimes I my shirt would “accidentally” *cough cough* cover the butt of the weapon in in holster on my hip so as not to frighten law-abiding citizens who might be around and not used to seeing weapons worn by someone in civilian clothes.

Will crime increase? Maybe.. someone may feel more inclined to carry a weapon than before.. perhaps those who didn’t want to wear a gun but love the idea of having a weapon of deadly force at hand -this could cause some gun accidents: female may be startled by stranger..or crackhead.. over-react and someone could be mortally wounded.. in an instant. Also what if she keeps it in her purse? Woman in grocery store, keeps snub-nose .38 in her purse – other “customer” spots the female as an “easy mark” and he thinks he can snatch the purse before the untrained female protect herself. Bad guy follows her outside to parking lot.. grabs purse.. you get the picture.

Crooks will get guns, period. They can buy them from private parties. Crooks will always do exactly what crooks DO: crimes. Guns DO save people, either through intimidation or having to resort to something very, very ugly. In Texas, where the old joke about everyone in Texas carries a weapon (licensed or not) rang very well true and still does today and many parts of Texas. Bad guys get killed. You’ve heard of Joe Horn, right?

You’ve heard of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Horn_shooting_controversy

Good example, bad guys shot dead and the reason for the shooting homeowner spies burglars going through neighbors window. Neighbor shoots/kills two guys, the suspects in the burglary as they were climbing into residence illegally and with obvious intent. Joe Horn was not convicted of any crime. You see, in Texas we have the “Castle and Keep” doctrine. We can use deadly force (within reason, of course) to protect our property. I can literally use deadly force on someone I see breaking into my car. This does not cause an outbreak of random shootings ( although some parts in TX highest violent crime in the US). I feel very, very safe while in Texas.. my point is this: Many gun holders, legal or not, concealed – open, will not cause crime. In short, trite but usable here: “guns don’t kill people, people kill people.”

February 6, 2011 at 6:03 pm
(2) Tony says:

What is the law code that allows concealed carry with out a permit?
Why is there a reason to purchase & have CCW permit now?

February 6, 2011 at 6:22 pm
(3) Judy Hedding says:

Hi Tony,

The blog title link is the article with the answers to your questions. Here’s that link again:

January 1, 2012 at 3:12 pm
(4) Rick says:

I purchased a Bowie Knife,would i be able to carry it around Arizona even if i have it in its sheath?

January 2, 2012 at 10:31 pm
(5) Judy Hedding says:

Hi Rick,
I don’t know how old you are, but the general answer is yes. This article might help: http://www.sonorannews.com/archives/2010/100428/ftpgKnifeLaw.html. Of course, knives are not permitted in schools and there may be other specific restrictions (government buildings, airplanes, etc).

January 22, 2013 at 12:15 pm
(6) Doctor Database says:

Judy:

Love your About articles. Here’s a question: A part of my private property is designated an easement with deeded rights to my otherwise landlocked neighbors for ingress, egress, and utilities. Another new neighbor in the general area without deeded rights, is walking her dog several times a day across this easement – again it is not a public easement – but a section of private road that is part of my deeded property lines – while carrying a holstered Glock handgun on her hip. I have no issue with the open carry law in the state or 2nd amendment rights in general, but I am uncomfortable with someone other than me or a duly licensed police officer in the performance of his duties, possessing a loaded handgun on my own property. If I post reasonable notice, can I prohibit her from walking through with the gun? And, if so, what constitutes reasonable notice? I know there is a specific sign that the state requires – with specific images and language – when a premise with a liquor license wants to prohibit firearms. Is there something specific for a private residence?

Please feel free to share this question with other experts as well as to elicit comments and feedback from your readers.

Thanks!

Dr. Database

January 22, 2013 at 4:07 pm
(7) Judy Hedding says:

Hi Doc,
I am not an attorney or law enforcement, nor do I play either one on TV. You may not supercede state law which allows [most] people to carry a gun.

Let me start from the end — retailers may, in certain cases, prohibit people with guns from entering their premises in accordance with Arizona Revised statues. You are not a retailer, so that wouldn’t apply. If you don’t want her there, irrespective of weather she is carrying or not, you probably need to post signs that are specific as to who, by deed, may use the walkway and that others are trespassing. Since I have no background on that issue, you probably need to contact your local police/sheriff’s department or an attorney.

Rhetorical question: how do you know that the people who are permitted on the property aren’t carrying concealed? You wouldn’t be able to do anything about it, I’m guessing.

Stay safe out there!