1. Travel

Judy Hedding

Is Rocky Point Too Dangerous?

By March 7, 2012

In February the U.S. Department of State issued a Travel Warning for Mexico. The alert specifically mentions Puerto Peñasco (Rocky Point) and indicates that one should "exercise caution when visiting the coastal town of Puerto Peñasco. Sonora is a key region in the international drug and human trafficking trades, and can be extremely dangerous for travelers."

Is Rocky Point Too Dangerous
Rocky Point
© Judy Hedding

Rocky Point is usually a popular destination for Spring Break, but at least one tour/travel company that takes A.S.U. students on a Rocky Point excursion has canceled the plans this year.

Do you think Rocky Point is any more dangerous now than in previous years? Are you still planning to visit Rocky Point during Spring Break or at any other time this year? Please post your comments below.

You Might Also Be Interested In....

Join Me On Facebook | Follow Me on Twitter

Comments
March 11, 2012 at 9:24 pm
(1) fredmayoii@gmail.com says:

Anyone who travels to Rocky Point right now and decides to leave the hotel is taking way to big of chance of something that could be highly unpleasant happening. I used to love going to Rocky Point at Spring Break but you couldn’t pay me to go down there now…

March 13, 2012 at 5:01 pm
(2) George says:

Having worked as a consular officer, I can tell you that the State Department never issues a warning, especially as specific as this one seems to be, without having excellent, quality information. The information is from citizens, police and other diplomatic personnel, as well as from the US Embassy and consulates. This is a sad state of affairs since it hurts the honest people of Mexico who just want to make an honest days pay in peace. Tourism always was a vital part of the Mexican economy and tourists from all parts of the world were welcomed.

May 22, 2012 at 12:09 am
(3) Jason says:

First off this lady who wrote this is an idiot. I have been going to Rocky Point for over 30 years and never had a problem. Saying Rocky Point is one of the main center points of the drug industry is an idiotic comment. These stupid articles come out every week before a major weekend and it’s just a way for the government to try and keep peoples money in the US and not travel and spend it in other countries. Maybe if we had intelligent people running the budgets in the US we wouldn’t have incredible amounts of debt and not have to try and brain wash people to spend their money only in the US.

May 30, 2012 at 1:13 am
(4) Suzy says:

We own a condo on Sandy Beach in Rocky Point and visit 3-5 times per year, if not more. We have never run into any problems and we travel all around the town. The Rocky Point residents couldn’t be more friendly and the service and food at the local eateries is better than our home town in Arizona! To say that Puerto Penasco is a “dangerous” place is absurd – try spending a weekend in downtown Phoenix if you are looking for “dangerous”!

September 29, 2012 at 11:55 pm
(5) Ron says:

I was in Rocky Point for 3 nights in late September 2012. I witnessed a Military vehicle with a mounted machine gun that was manned even when driving, with the machine gun pointed straight ahead right at traffic and pedestrians. On one occasion while driving in Old Town, I drove up a street where a vehicle mounted machine gun was pointing right down the street that I was driving, right at my car! The gunner never changed his aim, even when I turned around and left. I saw the gun pointed at the back of my car through my rear view mirror. Why that machine gun wasn’t pointed upwards is puzzling to me. To me it is the sign of either poorly trained military, or trigger happy troops anticipating a firefight.

I didn’t see any sign of violence during my stay. The military had stops coming into and leaving Rocky Point on the main highway. Were they looking for stowaway Americans trying to sneak into Rocky Point? Maybe we Americans bring in too much candy. The Mexican side of the border crossing just waived us in without checking anything. So, why 50 miles later were we subjected to a Military search? Were they looking for drugs or weapons so they could resell them? I never once felt any safer with poorly trained military around. When I asked some locals about it, they told me that the military presence is partly to blame for the lack of tourists. I’ll have to agree. I don’t believe that I’ll ever go back there. It’s not the bad guys I worried about, but Mexico’s own poorly trained military. I don’t need to spend my tourist dollars in a country where the military points machine guns at the tourists for no reason.

December 27, 2012 at 11:08 am
(6) 2cents says:

I have been frequenting Rocky Point 1-2 times per month for 17 years. Over recent years the State Department and the media predictably have been teaming up just prior to spring break and other holidays in their Rocky-Point-Scare hoax. And it has worked to send most would-be tourists running to their hidey holes. The more adventurous and the old-timers, however, have not been deterred, and enjoy the beatiful beaches and the way-safer-than-US environment all to themselves. As each year passes, and word has become widespread that the well-timed scare propoganda is unfounded, more and more tourists have been returning in ever-increasing numbers. People are less easily hoodwinked.

June 11, 2013 at 11:41 pm
(7) Tom says:

I’m going to Rocky Point with friends this week. I’m driving from San Antonio, TX, to Tempe, Az and from there driving to RP.

June 11, 2013 at 11:50 pm
(8) Tom says:

@Jason read. The lady is just referencing a State Department report and is not even giving her own opinion. She only asks readers if they think it is dangerous. The report did not state that Rocky Point is one of the main center points of the drug industry. She mentioned that the report said that (The State) Sonora is, Sonora State is a large place which happens to include Rocky Point. You need to read and understand before you call someone an idiot because it makes you look like an idiot.