A new car seat/booster seat law went into effect on August 2, 2012 in Arizona. I have seen many interpretations and misleading statements about it posted online. Is it for children under 7? Under 9? 8 and younger? Is the requirement by age or weight, or both age and weight? I received an email from a concerned parent which included the request:
I was researching the recent change in ARS 28-907 effective this month, August, regarding the inclusion of children "ages 5 through 7 (younger than 8 ) and 4'9" or shorter" referring the Booster seat law HB-2154 and came across your entry in About.com http://phoenix.about.com/od/parenting/a/childseat.htm. I tried to go to AZ.gov to get the exact wording to see if it should be AND or OR as far as any child who should satisfy both age and height requirement or just one requirement in order to be kept in a booster seat....This should be clarified as the OR conjunction would include many more vs. AND which would exclude those taller 5-7 year olds (or older but shorter) who only satisfy one requirement.
Here it is, as simply as I can offer it.
The old law required that any child in a passenger vehicle under 5 years old must be secured in a child restraint system.
The new law in Arizona requires:
- Any child under 5 years old must be secured in a child restraint system.
- Any child at least 5 years old but under 8 years old who is also 4'9" tall or shorter must be secured in a child restraint system.
- Your daughter is 6 years old and 4'1" tall. She must be in a child restraint system when riding in a vehicle. She is more than 5 years old but not yet 8 years old, and not taller than 4'9".
- Your daughter is 9 years old and 4'5" tall. She is not required by law to be in a child restraint system. Although she is not taller than 4'9", she is not under 8 years old.
- Your son is 7 years old and 5'2" tall. He is not required by law to be in a child restraint system. Although he is more than 5 years old but not yet 8 years old, he is taller than 4'9".
- Your son is 7 years old, 4'8" tall and weighs 70 pounds. He must be in a child restraint system. He is more than 5 years old but not yet 8 years old, and not taller than 4'9". Weight is not a factor in Arizona.
What if you have a child that is older but still rather small? Can you have them use a booster seat in the car? Of course you can, but that's up to you.
Clear? Have more questions? Post them in the "Comments" section below and I will try to get an answer for you.