Not everyone loves ballet. Some people have never even seen it, and frankly, are afraid to try. Well, I have a secret -- ballet is not that scary. Usually when people are curious about ballet, I recommend that they see one of the classics that are easy to understand, like The Nutcracker. Now, it gets even easier. If you've been wanting to see ballet, or you have a young person at home who owns a tutu and ballet slippers, Ballet Under the Stars is the event for you.
© Ballet Arizona,
used with permission.
This year's Ballet Under the Stars features seven performances throughout the Valley during September, with a presentation of "Class Act." In this Ballet Arizona Education and Outreach program, professional Ballet Arizona dancers' talents combine with the youthful and creative ideas of school-age children. These classical and contemporary performances are suitable for all ages to enjoy a professional ballet presentation in a unique, outdoor setting complete with stage, lighting, costumes and (hopefully) beautiful September evening weather.
Ballet Arizona is in its 27th season. General admission to Ballet Under the Stars is free. Blanket and low lawn chair seating is available. No alcoholic beverages may be brought onto the premises and no pets are allowed. There will be a children's activity area and food and drink will be available for purchase. VIP tickets are $50 and include special seating, wine tastings and appetizers.
Entering into its ninth year, Ballet Under the Stars performances bring classical and contemporary ballet to wider and more diverse audiences. Each year, this series is performed for nearly 7,000 children, adults, and families, many of whom experience Ballet Arizona for the first time.
What: Ballet Under the Stars
When and where:
- Thursday, September 20, 2012 at Fountain Park, Fountain Hills
- Friday, September 21, 2012 at Tempe Center for the Arts Amphitheater, Tempe
- Saturday, September 22, 2012 at Estrella Lakeside Amphitheater, Goodyear
- Sunday, September 23, 2012 at Sahuaro Ranch Historic Park Area, Glendale
- Thursday, September 27, 2012 at Beardsley Park, Sun City West
- Friday, September 28, 2012 at Paul Mason Sports Complex, Casa Grande
- Saturday, September 29, 2012 at Steele Indian School Park, Phoenix
How much: Nothing. General admission is free.
More Information: Ballet Arizona online
You Might Also Be Interested In....