Update: Bill Montgomery won.
In November 2012 registered voters in Arizona will be voting for several ballot propositions including a sales tax, open elections and the process for selection of judges. We will also decide which candidates will be elected to various important Arizona state positions. One of those positions is Maricopa County Attorney.
The Maricopa County Attorney manages 15 specialized bureaus, with close to 800 attorneys, investigators, administrators, paralegals, victim advocates and support staff. The Maricopa County Attorney must be a licensed attorney in good standing and able to practice in Arizona.The duties and responsibilities of the Maricopa County Attorney include being responsible for the prosecution of criminals committing felonies, victims' services and crime prevention programs. The County Attorney is the chief prosecutor for the County.
The candidates listed here represent a political party. A full listing of Maricopa County candidates for all positions being elected at this time can be found at the Maricopa County Recorder website.
Official website: kielsky.com
A Few Platform Points:
- "I'm campaigning to promote Liberty & Justice, ideas and values that are literally above the written, statutory laws. My opponent appears to believe that if a law is on the books, he must enforce it to the letter. I believe that, in the words of Martin Luther King Jr., 'One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.'"
- "As County Attorney, I will devote the resources of that office to prosecuting real criminals who have harmed victims by force or fraud, and, relying on my prosecutorial discretion, I vow that no resources will be used for the prosecution of victimless crimes."
- "I promise that I will make victim restitution a top priority. Instead of having victims of crime harmed a second time through being forced to help pay for the housing and care for their offender, whenever possible, the offender should be made to pay full restitution - something that can't happen if the offender is locked away in prison for years. Only the most serious offenders, who are a threat to victims and society, should be locked away, to protect us from their violence."
Official website: www.montgomery2012.com
A Few Platform Points:
- "In the two years he has served as County Attorney, Montgomery has amassed an impressive record of accomplishments. Governor Jan Brewer appointed him to serve as Chairman of the Arizona Child Safety Task Force, where he has continued his long-standing commitment to create safer and stronger families and to fight child abuse and neglect."
- "As County Attorney, Bill Montgomery has focused on fighting crime and honoring the rights of crime victims, by making sure violent and repeat criminals go to prison and stay there. He has also worked with local high schools to encourage young people to be drug and alcohol-free, and his office has proactively tackled the increasing problem of identity theft, through education efforts, community shred-a-thons and tough prosecutions."
- "When he ran for County Attorney in 2010, Montgomery pledged to work tirelessly on three key issues: Public Safety: Ensuring the safety of all the citizens of Maricopa County; Being Fair: Always striving to be even-handed, in all professional matters; Working with others: Never forgetting he is part of a larger team, with the same goals."
You Might Also Be Interested In....