1. Local

Judy Hedding

Arizona Election 2012: Central Arizona Water Conservation District

By October 2, 2012

I received an email today from MR with a request:
Can you please post a new "Central AZ Water Cnsrv Dist" post. One that could pertain to the elections this year. Like the last post you made I couldn't really find any information about the candidates.
He was referring to the fact that in 2010 I mentioned this election, but I hadn't yet this year. So, here goes.

In November 2012 registered voters in Arizona will be voting for several ballot propositions including a sales tax, open elections and the process for selection of judges. We will also decide which candidates will be elected to various important Arizona state and Maricopa County positions. One of those positions is Central Arizona Water Conservation District Board Member. The Central Arizona Water Conservation District has 10 members with staggered 6-year terms. Five will be elected at the 2012 General Election. The candidates are listed here, and the ones with an asterisk (*) next to their names are the ones whose terms are expiring at the end of the year and are seeking reelection. This is a non-partisan election, so the candidate's political party is not included on the ballot. The section of the ballot will be entitled, "Central AZ Water Cnsrv Dist."

Just like two years ago, there is very little information out there about any of the candidates unless they are already on the Board, and are, therefore, the incumbents. I was able to find a couple of Facebook pages/websites, which may or may not be instructive.

In any case, here are the candidates for 2012. You will be selecting a maximum of five from these 13:
  1. Atkins, Lisa A.*
  2. Bain, Robin Elizabeth
  3. Brickman, Linda S.
  4. Burns, Gayle J.*
  5. Carpenter, Guy
  6. Goddard, Terry
  7. Hamstra, Carrie L.
  8. Macre, Heather
  9. Mecum, Brett
  10. Mcgrath, Jean*
  11. Minieri, John P.
  12. Pickard, Pamela L.*
  13. Thom, Janie*
You can find information about the five current Board members at the Central Arizona Water Conservation District website. As for the others, you'll have to search around for them. As we get closer to the election, I imagine there will be some information posted as to their backgrounds and qualifications, but I couldn't find much at this point.

You Might Also Be Interested In....
Connect With Judy:
Twitter | Facebook | Free Newsletters

Comments

October 8, 2012 at 7:16 pm
(1) Robin Elizabeth Bain says:

I am so glad to be able to provide my facebook link where you can find information about me and why I want to serve on the CAWCD Board. I am a water professional of over 32 years having worked mostly in the Public Works-Utilities municipal sector, and in 10 of those years I have managed Colorado River Water Rights, currently as the City of Peoria’s Water Resources & Environmental Manager. I have a bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering (1980) and a master’s in Environmental Engineering (1987) from Virginia Tech. I am a registered professional engineer since 1985 and a Board Certified Environmental Engineer in Water Supply and Wastewater. I just three weeks ago was named the WateReuse Assocation’s Person of the Year Award, the only person from Arizona to ever win this prestigious award. The CAWCD Board faces critical and complex issues, including affordable reliable power supply, replenishment obligations of the Central Arizona Groundwater Replenishment District, aging infrastructure for which it is still in debt to the Federal government, uncertainty of supply accessibility during drought or shortages, and outstanding Indian water rights claims. All of these and the many others I’ve not touched upon here will impact the affordability, security and reliability of our Colorado River water supply and delivery. Electing a career-long, competent, and passionate water professional, NOT a politician, will bring much needed technical and practical experience and expertise to the decisions and policies of the CAWCD Board. Our state’s economic prosperity- today and tomorrow- depends on adequate, reliable water supply with affordable rates and sound infrastructure…this is what I can bring to the CAWCD Board with your vote on November 6th.

October 8, 2012 at 7:23 pm
(2) Robin Elizabeth Bain says:

Judy and readers: I am glad to be able to provide my facebook link -www.facebook.com/robinelizabethbain – and hope you will contact me at robinelizabethbain4cawcdboard@gmail.com with your questions and comments about the CAWCD Board election and issues.

October 8, 2012 at 7:28 pm
(3) Judy Hedding says:

Hello Robin, and thanks. I added the link to your Facebook page above. (A hole in one this year at Ocotillo? Congrats!)

October 9, 2012 at 12:06 am
(4) Robin Bain says:

Judy
Thanks for adding my contact information to your “list”! I just updated my page with over a dozen endorsements, including this one from Peoria Mayor Bob Barrett, September 13, 2012

“I have worked with Robin Bain and I have found her to be always prepared, completely professional and very easy to get along with. Robin listens to issues and does background research before deciding on how to handle issues. She also is very good at explaining complex water issues in terms that the layman can understand.

I fully endorse Robin as a candidate for the Central Arizona Water Conservation District and I ask you to vote for her.”

Oh, and by the way, there are 15 CAWCD Board members in total, and every 2 years, five are elected. This year all five seats are for Maricopa County, thus only Maricopa County registered voters will elect/select their new voices on the CAWCD Board.

And yes, my first hole-in-one was on May 18th at Ocotillo Golf Course, in a charity tournament with 200 golfers! My husband was in my foursome, and thus was one of my requisite witnesses. Was the prize a car? Oh no, it was a $25 Visa gift card! But the real prize is the amazing sense of accomplishment, luck, and truly gives a person a big does of optimism!

October 13, 2012 at 2:39 pm
(5) April Skelton says:

I know that this is considered a non-partisan election but we all know how that works. I would prefer to see the party affliation along with the candidate’s political record. Thank you.

October 14, 2012 at 10:42 pm
(6) Al Plyler says:

The problem with these non partisan elections is that they aren’t — Yet some would like to shove more of them down our throats. There are three elections on this ballot (Central AZ Water Conservation District, Maricopa County Special Health Care District, and Maricopa County Community College District) without any candidate profile from which we can make an educated guess as to who would best serve our interests as voters. Shame, shame!

October 15, 2012 at 1:25 pm
(7) B.P. says:

Why don’t we know the party affiliations of these candidates. It is not widely disneminated and it is very difficult to wade throught the rhetoric to find their values.

October 15, 2012 at 10:47 pm
(8) Tami says:

Based on some research this evening Bain, Carpenter and Thom are Republicans (unless the information i found was incorrect.) Although this is a non-partisan ballot it would be helpful to have party affiliation to take into consideration when casting a vote.

October 15, 2012 at 11:22 pm
(9) Sue says:

I agree. I want party affiliation and information on what these people’s views are on issues of this department’s nature. They are on for 6 yrs. I think we need to know what they believe and will fight for in our state.

October 15, 2012 at 11:52 pm
(10) Sandra says:

Jean Mcgrath – Republican and with the tea party. So is Linda Brickman. Brett Mecum was actually fired from Republican GOP party. Google his name, but don’t let the children see the pictures. It sounds like Robin Bain has some great experience, which we need on the board. Guy Carpenter also has an impressive resume in the water industry. In the past elections, because of lack of information on the candidates, people vote by name recognition and women. In fact in the last election a women with absolutely no experience in the water industry won over a man who had not only been the GM of CAP but has many years of exeperience in the water industry. It’s sad. This is a bi-partisan board but it still comes down to majority voting.

October 16, 2012 at 10:37 am
(11) DEREK MEHL says:

This is a prime example of PROGRESSIVISM at its best. It is time we all pay close attention and put a stop to these to these something for nothing people!

October 17, 2012 at 2:51 am
(12) Jay says:

Check out this sit on facebook I got a little more info on some of the Candidates A Better CAP Water Board – Central Arizona Water Conservation District

October 17, 2012 at 2:23 pm
(13) Suzann says:

Thanks to all for your comments and info. It’s much appreciated and is helpful in making somewhat of an informed decision on who to vote for.

October 17, 2012 at 10:13 pm
(14) DonnyBBad says:

Just spent several hours researching these candidates. Here are my results the best I could discern them:

Lisa Atkins-Don’t know party affiliation but was Chief of Staff for US Congressman Bob Stumps (R)

Robin Bain-Conservative Republican. Facebook:”Likes”:GOP, Conservative

Linda Brickman-Tea Party Activist

Gayle J. Burns:-Afiliation: Republican

Guy Carpenter-Republican per campaign site

Terry Goddard-Well-known as Democrat

Carrie Hamstra-Conservative Republican per Superstition Mountain Republican Club meeting minutes 10/9/12

Heather McCrae-Endorsed by AZ Democratic Party

Jean McGrath-Republican -previous elective office runs

Brett Mecum-Past Exec. Dir. AZ GOP

John P. Minieri-No info except involved with the Arts in Scottsdale

Pamela L. Pickard-Affiliation unknown. Husband Larry was treasurer for GOP

Janie Thom-Republican

Hope this helps anybody else looking for political affiliation

October 18, 2012 at 12:02 am
(15) Jennifer says:

As a conservative Republican, I researched these candidates. I personally met and interrogated (smile) McGrath, and she passed. Also, my research gives me confidence in the more Tea Party, Constitutionalist ideas of Bain and Brickman.

I am choosing: Brickman, McGrath, Bain, Atkins, and Thom.

All of these are Republicans, and three of them are also endorsed by the Republican party (I received a flyer listing AZ Rep. Party endorsements). But since I am more of a Tea Party type than an establishment type, I favored Bain and Brickman over the other Rep. Party endorsees.

Please vote well for our state and country!

October 18, 2012 at 1:35 am
(16) Lisa says:

I agree with the Arizona Republic that Heather Macre deserves one of our five votes. She is the loudest voice for transparency, and she will do a good job representing citizens who get their water through cities. She has strong ties with the City of Phoenix.

She also would focus on educating the public about this board, which most customers don’t hear about until they see they owe money for groundwater replenishment. Homeowners need to understand where their water comes from and how secure the supply will be.

October 18, 2012 at 1:44 am
(17) Oran says:

Guy Carpenter and Robin Bain are Republicans and both appear to be subject matter experts. Some people think this is a position where expertise counts.

If you insist on voting party lines, please note that the only two Democrats are Goddard and Macre. Both of them are qualified, but there are plenty Republicans if you refuse to believe that water management can be non-partisan [including John P. Minieri, who is a registered Republican, by the way, and also seems to understand the issues handled by this board.]

Brickman, McGrath, Mecum, and Thom are completely unqualified! Do not vote for them if you are at all concerned with our water supply!

October 18, 2012 at 4:33 pm
(18) Michele Henson says:

I am so happy all of you were blogging on here!!!
Being a tea party activist I was looking for info on these ppl; especially given the UN Agenda 21.

Any of you in PV schoold dist 69? I have no kids – which of these candidates have fiscally conservative, school choice type values?

If you don’t I’ll keep looking.

Thanks patriots! Keep up the GREAT work we’re doing!
Michele Henson

October 18, 2012 at 5:55 pm
(19) Nori says:

Thank you for the links! I am voting for Bain, Carpenter, Goddard, Pickhard, and Thom! We have many dedicated and qualified candidates.

October 19, 2012 at 11:12 am
(20) Judy says:

Info for PV School District voters…

You have three choices from a slate of four candidates. I would urge your vote for Anne Greenberg, Sue Skidmore, and Nancy Case. The three have worked well together over the last 8 years. I don’t mean to suggest that they’ve always agreed; it simply means they listen, do their our own research, and each, decide what is in the best interest of all of our children.

In March, the fourth candidate and the former principal of Paradise Valley High School, filed a notice of claim for $600,000 because her one-year contract was non-renewed. Her case is pending.

October 20, 2012 at 8:21 pm
(21) Craig Chambers says:

I would like to add my thanks to those posting their comments about these candidates. I know nothing about them, and this is my source for how I will actually vote. Thank you for doing the research and letting us in on it, I really appreciate it.

October 21, 2012 at 6:47 pm
(22) stan says:

Thank you to “DonnyBBad” for posting the supplemental information about the candidates!

October 24, 2012 at 12:46 pm
(23) John Krein says:

Thanks for the candidates information, very informative!

October 25, 2012 at 6:23 pm
(24) Margaret Graney says:

Thank you to all who posted comments which have helped me make an informed decision on those candidates best qualified for this board.

October 27, 2012 at 11:42 am
(25) Debbie says:

Wow I came to this site because I was wondering who. was most qualified for the job,What a concept that is , not who the party affiliation is. Its sad to read these comments of GOP’s and tea drinkers. It is very well known that you people don’t care about the environment and our water supply is important to living things humans included, so what happens to Az’s water will it be sold off or polluted for the sake of the almighty dollar, do you even care ? No, just is he or she a republican? I ask you what is the difference between tithing to your church a certain amount of .your earnings or tithing to the Federal Government for the good of the whole USA ?The dumbing of America I thought was about our education system but I see it is having an arrogant mind that only your party can do the right thing no matter the qualification.God Bless America seems Satan has blessed the GOP.

October 28, 2012 at 4:49 pm
(26) Nedra says:

Debbie I also just came into ths site because I was completing my ballot and had no idea who the people were or what the CAWCD was. Quickly found out the latter, but it took another half hour to find this site to find something (anything) out about the people. I read the posts so differently than you apparently did; I actually thought they were helpful. I lean toward the GOP and don’t think the tea partiers have horns. I am glad a voice is standing up to runaway spending. Do you really believe your money has been spent wisely by either party? And do you really believe ALL Republicans don’t care about the environment? (Teddy Roosevelt did a pretty good job.) I just voted for four GOP and 1 Dem who were shown here as having the best qualifications.

October 29, 2012 at 11:30 am
(27) concerned parent says:

regarind PVUSD school board canddates. Don’t vote for the status quo! Do you want members that always vote the same way, never questioning anything or having a different point of view? Also, this looks like verbatum something Case sent out to constituents. Davis’s attorney had to write a reply because Davis has not filed a lawsuit she asked for her job back. Look into these candidates and you will find some interesting things on Case and Skidmore. Did you know Case’s husband owns a construction business and it just so happens has gotton miliions of dollars in PVUSD construction contracts? All you have to do is go to her husbands construction website and he proudly lists them. If that is OK with you vote the status quo, otherwise vote for Davis who has been in the trenches, knows what kids need and what parents want – she cares. By the way the staus quo thought that it was a great idea and a priority to spend a million dollars on a football field at Horizon HS. Is that OK ?

October 29, 2012 at 2:05 pm
(28) stm says:

Debbie, no wonder we are in trouble, with flawed thinking like yours. Tithing to churches is voluntary, whereas tithing to the Federal Government is not and is is closer to extortion so that do gooders like you, who presume themselves to be better educated and smarter (seldom the case) can use the extorted money to manage the doing of good for all of us…..

October 30, 2012 at 7:53 pm
(29) LH says:

Apparently it is hard to find out information regarding Central AZ Water Conservation Dist. However I finally found a really good site for information.

This was the best website I found:

Then search for each name

The ones I would say stay away from for sure are: Terry Goddard, Heather Macre

I could not find information on Brett Mecum, Gayle Burns or Linda Brickman

October 30, 2012 at 7:54 pm
(30) Knowafew says:

OMG, with the comments on this page there are only two people who we will vote for. You people scare me to death as I watch the party of Eisenhower go over to the party of Adolf and his RepubliCON cohorts.

Most of you T-bag people are certifiable. If you wear a Lipton T bag on your clothing, think about the bus that was provided by the Koch brothers that provided transportation to a phony rally, and most on Social Security and Medicare at those rallies but don’t want anyone else to have those horrible government run programs. You don’t want Obama care because you have Medicare, one of the best run government programs with a 3% overhead. Your wonderful private insurers run around 20-25% over head, while paying their CEO millions of dollars just to say NO.

And we can thank George W Bush for the worst economic times since Hoover, caused by you guessed it, the Geriatric Old Party. I weep for the men and women who died to give T-baggers their ability to completely ruin America without giving a second thought about it. How sad for all of us when the inmates are running our government: Kyl, Boner, Cantor, McConnell, and let’s not forget the “rape is a gift from God”, GOPers and the many, many others who would rather destroy American than elect a 1/2 black man as President.

SHAMEFUL and as a former Republican I will NEVER vote for a RepubliCON again until the party gets it’s brains out of it’s ass. Oh yea, let’s just privatize everything and see how that works out for you people who don’t have a clue.

November 4, 2012 at 7:18 pm
(31) Juan says:

Thanks for the research on the party affiliations, this helps a lot … without it, I might have unknowingly voted for people who don’t know right from wrong!

November 5, 2012 at 1:20 pm
(32) ImagineNoLiberals says:

Thanks Knowafew…The best case against liberalism is made simply by observing liberals behaving like liberals. A “tolerance and diversity” paper bag can’t hide your bottle of 100 proof hate!

Born and raised in the leftist utopia of Madison, WI, I know how liberals operate. They are the most arrogant, jealous, vain and corrupt creatures to infest this magnificent planet. Liberals can’t be honest about their twisted utopian vision so their fundamental strategy is to institutionalize their radical agenda, bypassing the will of the people. A rational individual is likely to believe a natural resources commission would be a politics-free zone…think again. I witnessed the outrageous leftist politicization of the water and sewer commission in Dane county (Madison, WI). The commission actually created a manifesto that would have made Lenin proud, including class warfare language like advancing “economic justice”, for example. Leftists seek to control the individual by controlling the water you drink, the air you breathe, the food you eat, the health care you receive and so on.

It’s essential to connect public officials with their political ideology whenever possible, even on seemingly nonpartisan public entities, like the CAWCD…BEFORE they become nefarious unelected, unaccountable tools of the left, like the EPA.

November 5, 2012 at 10:49 pm
(33) Victor says:

@ ImagineNoLiberals – well done! Couldn’t have said it better myself. “Knowafew” doesn’t know very much at all.

November 5, 2012 at 11:17 pm
(34) Peggy says:

Thanks so much for making this page. You made it so much easier. I thought I would have to look them all up myself. Thanks again.

November 6, 2012 at 1:12 am
(35) AZ Engineer says:

Party affiliation should have nothing to do with this position.
AZ is pathetic with regard to partisan nonsense. This poor State has so much to offer, yet it’s people continually vote for corrupt politicians based only on what they say, and not what they do.

If you TRULY want to understand politics, start reading the laws that are being passed. Ignore the local media, as it is paid for by the media teams of our politicians. Why do politicians need media teams? Most of the time it is because they need routine damage control to hide the atrocities they cause as they funnel our tax dollars to our friends and suck our State dry.

If you are seriously interested in voting for what is best for our State and it’s citizens, vote for the qualified candidates instead of your favorite party.

November 6, 2012 at 2:59 pm
(36) AZ voter says:

I agree wholeheartedly with AZ Engineer. Water is an extremely important resource and living in a desert with limited access to water, it is incredibly important that we choose this board wisely and not based on party lines. There’s a reason party affiliations are not listed on the ballot! That said, we don’t need only water experts because this board is not just about who knows the ins and outs of water conservation, but also who can actually accomplish things as a board member. I am choosing not based on my own political party (I’m decidedly on the far left of the spectrum), but chose 5 candidates who I believe will be the most influential. I chose 5 individuals with different backgrounds and experience/expertise because the board should be diverse in its members’ capabilities. The fact that my significant other is a water professional helps me understand the significance of this board and may give me “insider” insight into what I should be looking for in a candidate. But I wouldn’t chose these 5 members based on political party even if I was a complete water novice because that’s not what the board is about.

November 6, 2012 at 4:30 pm
(37) DougC says:

Thank you for the link LH. Very helpful!

November 6, 2012 at 4:39 pm
(38) Stephen Reed says:

Party affiliation disclosure for this position is important! Your property is being taxed for this water. That is the reason for this election. Look at your Property Tax bill.

And if you rent, the property tax is passed on in rental prices – just as any tax is passed on to the consumer in the form of higher prices. As would any higher property tax on property owned by municipalities passed onto you as well.

Are we supposed to have taxation without proper representation? It’s well known which Political Party enjoys higher taxes. Why would its members not stop at taxing your water? To save the planet? For the children? Hardly.

A candidate would be wise to mention their party affiliation even if the law doesn’t require a candidate’s party affiliation on the ballot. And that’s as far as non-partisanship is required.