1. Local

Judy Hedding

From the About Phoenix Mailroom: Trick or Treat Schedule

By October 31, 2013

Note for Halloween 2013: The information posted here about designated times for trick-or-treating (or the lack thereof) is still accurate!

The following message was posted in the About Phoenix Forum: Phoenix Halloween

Boooo !!!
I cannot find out the hours for trick or treaters....in the city of Surprise...Or is there no set time ?? I hate to eat all this candy I bought, haa!! I have looked on this site, and know everything about events, costumes, etc., except trick or treat times...

I admit it--I was surprised to learn that there are places that have designated hours for trick or treating!

This particular person is originally from Ohio, where trick or treating from door to door is apparently allowed only between the hours of 6 p.m. and 8 p.m. on Halloween. Here's how I responded.

There is no set schedule for trick or treating. Depending on your neighborhood, you may get many or very few kids going door to door. In my previous neighborhood I would get about 100 per night. Because I lived in a subdivision-type neighborhood, groups would get together and the kids and parents would generally come 10 or so at a time. Most trick or treaters will come to homes between 6:30 and 8:30 p.m. in my experience, but there's no rule about it. I used to enjoy making up little bags of goodies--candy, pencils, plastic spiders, etc. when we knew all the neighborhood kids.
Some master-planned communities, or communities with homeowners associations, may have restrictions on hours. If your city or town in Arizona has time restrictions for trick or treating, or you have tips about candy or avoiding Halloween vandalism, please let us know and post your "comment" below.

Comments

October 31, 2008 at 2:08 am
(1) Molly says:

I also have been very frustrated looking for trick or treating times. In Anthem and there are no postings or anything about the times. I have seen all the local magazines posting safety tips for going out trick or treating and other events, but nothing about times or even if they do trick or treating on a different day. Also being from Ohio, it has always been posted in the local newspaper for which day each city has their trick or treating. For example, if Halloween fell on a Thursday, some cities would have trick or treating on Friday or Saturday. In this case I assume it will be on Friday, Halloween, but can one just assume kids will stop coming at 8:30? I am definitely for the newspaper posting the dates and times for each city.

October 31, 2008 at 1:46 pm
(2) Rachel says:

I have been looking for trick or treat times for Tolleson, a small suburb west of Phoenix. I too am from Ohio, and I am surprised that there are no set times for trick or treaters. I guess I’ll just be ready for them around dusk!

October 31, 2008 at 3:13 pm
(3) Kimberly says:

I’ve been looking for times for Ahwatukee as well, and have never found anything. I am guessing that it will be at dusk. I’m from Indiana, and we had the times posted in the newspapers and on their websites as well as the websites for the radio stations. I wish they did that out here so I know when to expect to see all of the kids.

October 31, 2008 at 4:07 pm
(4) Valerie says:

My guess is that times must vary significantly from community to community. I’m from Michigan where our times were always listed in the newspaper (as the person above also mentioned). After asking around at work, I’ve gathered that the bulk of trick or treaters will be out between 5-8, depending on where your at.

Happy Halloween!

October 31, 2008 at 6:49 pm
(5) Corey says:

I’m from Utah originally, but have been in Phoneix/Peoria AZ for several years now;. I never find anything in the papers, but sometimes they will mention recommended times on the local network news. Usually it’s 6 to 8pm. Because of the warm weather here, a lot of people will actually sit in their driveway to hand out candy. About 8 PM they start moving in doors and turning off lights.

October 31, 2009 at 11:27 am
(6) Lora says:

It is crazy it is not posted and this is why it may end up dangerous for kids. I am from WI there is always set times and tips like only go to house with lights on. so here we can just run all day long becuase there is no set time? Get up to speed Arizona I live in Litchfield Park and I have been looking all month long. I guess I will just have lights on and wait until whenever my candy runs out as always I bought 30 bags and I do not want to eat it myself, however my kids will love it. Happy Halloween

October 31, 2009 at 4:13 pm
(7) bryan says:

I’m in Tolleson as well (originally from WI) and last year it was about 5:30-9 as the time guidelines. It’s not posted anywhere like they were in WI, which would be nice in the interest of safety for the neighborhood and the kids in general. But the parents w/ kids usually roll out around 5:30 and the older kids usually stop by 8:30ish

November 2, 2009 at 9:13 am
(8) DenzelWces says:

Good morning, Happy late halowen(: !

October 29, 2010 at 12:45 pm
(9) TTTMGRAM says:

I came from PA and the newspapers would always list the times for trick or treating. We live in Peoria and the last few years the kids would go out between the hours of 6-8:30. Turn on your outside lights if you want to partcipate or leave off if you don’t. And I noticed that it is always the 31st. Is it the same this year?

October 31, 2010 at 1:31 pm
(10) Kim says:

I too am from Michigan and have been searching for trick or treats times. I have spoken with several residents who start when it gets dark and turn off the lights when the candy runs out. I plan to do this as well. Happy Halloween to all and have a safe trick or treat.

October 31, 2010 at 3:13 pm
(11) Leyla says:

i hope people don’t get too mad because i don’t want to take my toddler after dark! I would like to get some good clear picutes of him trick or treating for the first time.

October 31, 2010 at 4:11 pm
(12) Amy says:

We live in Avondale now, but we were in Glendale and pretty much everyone used the 6-8pm deal. I am going to assume it is the same here as I too can find nothing about times. I’m from Ohio originally too and was remembering the days we use to take pillow cases, ha. We were out half the night. Too bad those days are gone now. I grew up on a resort lake (year round) and there were some ‘clubs’ bars, we could go in because it was all local people our folks knew and they would give us money.. uh oh my age again.

October 31, 2010 at 7:24 pm
(13) mark says:

i have multiple kids, at vastly different ages, and am coinsidently from ohio , we are goiing out at 6 and will be done by 8. i looked an
d could’nt find a thing , so be it!

October 28, 2011 at 2:29 pm
(14) patricia says:

does anyone know if people are trick or treating on Halloween since its a monday ???

October 28, 2011 at 2:35 pm
(15) Judy Hedding says:

Hi Patricia,

Yes, people will be trick-or-treating on the traditional date, October 31, which happens to fall on Monday in 2011.

October 29, 2011 at 7:58 pm
(16) Donyell says:

Is the trick or treating for all of Phoenix on monday from 6-8pm? I cant find anything for times listed anywhere. Thanks to anyone who can answer

October 29, 2011 at 8:23 pm
(17) MrsGixxer says:

Too funny! Not really. We’re from WI as well and have been looking for trick or treat times in Buckeye. We’ve only been here since Dec so we have no idea. If trick or treating is all day or all night no big deal but tell us former mid-westeners what it is. I guess I’ll have to go ask the neighbors.

October 29, 2011 at 9:13 pm
(18) Judy Hedding says:

As far as I know, there are no city code limitations on trick or treating in the Greater Phoenix area (as of 2011). It is common for people to take children door-to-door during certain hours, say from 5 p.m. for the little ones (while there is still daylight) until maybe 8 p.m. or 8:30 p.m. when people turn out the lights and stop answering the door!

Some communities/subdivisions, especially gated communities, may have their own stipulated time limitations on door-to-door trick-or-treating.

Notwithstanding the fact that it is Halloween city curfews are still enforced.

October 29, 2011 at 9:55 pm
(19) cjwblw says:

I’m glad I’m not the only mid-westener scratching their head! We came from WI to Buckeye three weeks ago and I thought maybe I was just missing something! Sure glad I found this page! Thank you for the sharing of knowledge and reassurance I am not missing anything!

October 30, 2011 at 1:59 am
(20) Tara says:

We are originally from Illinois. Treak or treating was allowed from the time school was dismissed until dusk. I have lived here for 10 years now. I look every year for trick or treat times and never find them! I use the rule – if the porch light is on, go for it!

October 30, 2011 at 3:58 pm
(21) fit2be says:

during my many inquires about this i have discovered that kids trick or treat in “old” buckeye the night before where as the newer communities (filled with people from from other states/countries) do the trick or treating on the traditional day31 time varies from place to place

October 30, 2011 at 6:20 pm
(22) Lauine says:

I am originally from Montana and had never heard about tric-or-treat times. It was always start when it starts getting dark, and finished no later than 9p. I lived in Utah for a few years and was surprised to see them change the date of trick-or-treating if Halloween fell on an inconvenient day, like a Sunday. But in the 7 years I have live in AZ, I have never heard of t-or-t “hours”, nor have they ever changed the dates. If you live in a subdivision you can expect more traffic. I live on Surprise as well and get about 60 kids on Halloween. The younger kids will start coming out just before dark…say around 5:30…then I usually don’t get anyone after about 8:30. I will answer the door and hand out treats until I’m out tho…no matter the time!

October 30, 2011 at 7:27 pm
(23) phoenix928 says:

old town buckeye??? is that behind sonic? I live in Buckeye but just moved here

October 30, 2011 at 9:09 pm
(24) kim says:

I as many others who have left comments have lived in Ohio for past 10 years, but recently moved back to the valley as I am from here originally. After being there for our first Halloween back east, I was left wondering when the idea of trick or treating on different days and during a specified time frame ever came about. Only good thing was that you could actually go 2 or 3 times if the kids were up to it. but many times there were flurries or rain to make it not as much fun as I recall here. Anyway I understand some of the reasons they place restrictions but really I think that it should be pretty simple and never should have been under “control” of whomever it is that decides those things. When i was younger we went trick-or-treating on Halloween (October 31…as i said lets keep it simple) and pretty much when it starts to get dark until folks start turning out their lights for whatever reason. I know our rule makers seem to hate it when we want to stick to our old traditions and feel they need to have final word on everything but come on Some things are just better off left alone. Like Halloween and all holidays for that matter. Next thing you know each town will be deciding which day is more convenient to celebrate New Years or Christmas too.

October 31, 2011 at 12:51 pm
(25) Donyell says:

Tara: Dont I know u?

Im still looking for t-o-t times. Ive been told from 6pm-8pm tonite for the Phoenix area. I think what Im going to do is just sit n see what happends.

October 31, 2011 at 4:56 pm
(26) sean merriman says:

hopefully this year is better than last year. there was fights on my street on camelback. good luck trick and treaters.

October 31, 2011 at 9:35 pm
(27) Melissa says:

It’s 6:30 in phoenix and I’ve gotten nothing!! I went through the trouble of dressing like a scarecrow with a please take one sign taped to the chest to scare the older kids and I don’t even see any on the streets!! Getting worried!!!

October 4, 2012 at 8:46 pm
(28) melanie says:

This is so funny – I grew up in West Phoenix and we trick or treated as soon as we were done w/dinner until 830 – 900, I moved to Ohio and was a little shocked that our town has “posted” times for trick or treat. At first I thought they were a little crazy, but I do see the merit in it.

October 9, 2012 at 5:52 pm
(29) Libbybelle says:

I am originally from CA and we never had trick or treat times. I moved to Ky and they not only have times but even certain days. To me it takes a lot of fun out of it and it’s past traditions.Kids can come to my house anytime from 5 -12. If I’m not out of candy you can come knocking. :)

October 30, 2012 at 2:35 pm
(30) lisa says:

We are from illinois,(suburb of chicago) and there are ALWAYS trick or treat hours. As a matter of fact, not only are all the area towns hours listed in the paper, but also the school even sends out reminder notes! I dont think arizona does much with halloween, even decorations on houses!

October 1, 2013 at 6:11 pm
(31) Melissa says:

I don’t understand all the confusion around this topic. As stated in the article, there are no restrictions on trick-or-treating here in the Valley. Therefore, just like it “in the old days” (before cities/municipalities decided they needed to “regulate” trick-or-treating), trick-or-treating takes place ON Halloween-whatever day of the week it may fall upon-, generally starting after the sun goes down (or maybe a little before for the little ones) and stops when the kids have had enough! lol I you want to be done at 8:30, then turn off your porch light and don’t answer the door. Or leave a bowl of candy out with a sign that says “Help yourself! Happy Halloween!” It seems like sometimes we all make things a lot more complicated than they need to be.