1. Local

Judy Hedding

Free Radio Christmas Music in Phoenix

By November 15, 2013

UPDATE 2013: As of today, November 15, 2013, KEZ, 99.9 FM, is playing Christmas music. Let the joyous singing in the car begin! No word yet from 94.5 FM.

Originally posted in 2003: I can't believe it. It shouldn't be allowed. It used to be that radio stations only played Christmas music between Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. Now, the first week of November, two stations are already playing holiday favorites. Both KESZ, 99.9 FM and 94.5 KOOL FM are playing Christmas tunes. If you can't wait to sing along with Have a Holly Jolly Christmas and Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer, those are definitely your stations. If you'd rather not hear holiday music just yet, maybe now is the time to try audiobooks!

Is there another radio station playing all holiday music? If you know, comment below.

Comments

November 8, 2008 at 9:25 pm
(1) Steve says:

They’re both all Christmas all the time so far as I can tell. KESZ usually starts after Thanksgiving, but last year they started early, too.

I was very disappointed to hear KOOL doing the same thing. We really don’t need more than one full-time Christmas music station in the Valley. For that matter, I don’t think we need even the one, especially so early in the year. Can’t we at least wait until December?

November 9, 2008 at 5:45 pm
(2) George says:

Kool is Xmas on the weekends.

November 10, 2008 at 2:37 pm
(3) Judy Hedding says:

Hi George,

Thanks. I’m not sure that’s right, though. Every time I tuned in on Friday and today, Monday, KOOL was Christmas music.

November 10, 2008 at 4:54 pm
(4) Steve says:

I just checked their website and clicked on “Listen Live”. What was playing? “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas” by The Pretenders.

Looking in their playlist history online, every single song listed is a Christmas song.

It’s not just on the weekends. It appears to be on every single day.

November 11, 2008 at 11:19 pm
(5) Kathie says:

Every year KEZ gets earlier and earlier. I always stop listening to them in November and then usually begin again after Thanksgiving, which is in my opinion, the way it should be. There’s enough shoving Christmas things down our throats still in October without having to listen to Christmas music at the beginning of November. I love Christmas but its too early and it aggravates me so much this year that I will listen to another station even after Thanksgiving.

November 12, 2008 at 11:45 am
(6) Leonard says:

Playing Christmas music just so the greedy retailers can generate more sales and money. Donít they know that you can also suffocate consumers and the results will back fire? I refuse to listen to Christmas music until one week before Christmas. Iím from the old school. Christmas was enjoyed in December not from July on. Whatís with this society or should I ask with the gluttonous businesses. They are so afraid we might forget Christmas. Let them suffer. Disgusted with this whole early Christmas business. As for KEZ and KOOL, what are they trying to prove? Oh well, life goes on no matter what I think. Have a great day!!

November 13, 2008 at 3:51 am
(7) Craig says:

I usually start listening to Christmas songs around January 02, and I LANGUISH until the 24/7 radio programming picks back up. You people should be ashamed of yourselves! Besides, Mariah Carey’s “All I want for Christmas” is totally appropriate during an election season.

November 13, 2008 at 5:51 pm
(8) E Miles says:

It never ceases to amaze me the lengths the marketers will go to sell Christmas. I was enjoying the KOOL play list but now I am back to my IPod & NPR for good.

December 29, 2008 at 12:16 am
(9) anna says:

I was so excited to have 94.5 and 99.9 playing continuous Christmas music!!! AND, since 99.9 stopped on Dec. 26, I have been listening exclusively to 94.5, who keep the Christmas spirit on a bit longer. Come on, guys, England doesn’t have Thanksgiving, so they have a longer Christmas season. We all need cheering up during this recession!!!

October 29, 2009 at 12:12 pm
(10) Cris says:

KKEP PLAYING CHRISTMAS MUSIC NOVEMBER 1st!!!! Why is it so bad to have christmas music on the 1st week of November? we say its the holiday season right, well Winter starts on Dec. 22nd so whats the diffrence if we do it after thanksgiving? it would still be FALL your telling me i have less then a month to enjoy christmas? stop being a scrudge get over all the stress and listen to music that makes you feel good! KEEP IT GOING RADIO STATIONS im tired of this after thanks giving mindset ugghhh… EARLY CHRISTMAS MUSIC IS GOOD + 1st week of novemeber isnt to early its perfect!!!

October 29, 2009 at 12:20 pm
(11) Chris says:

its October 29th and im HOPING TO HEAR CHRISTMAS MUSIC SOON!!!
keep it playing im all down for it ill be a consistant listener
you people opposing this are so negative look what your writing… you think everything is a scam there areover 300 days to listen to your country pop rap rock and all that but only a little over a month (if starting 1st week of Nov.) to enjoy christmas songs if you dont like it get a CD/Ipod or something KEEP PLAYING CHRISTMAS SONGS EARLY!!! i cant wait play them were in a ressision were people want something too look forward to (if ur not a snob who cares about nothing but gifts) SCINCE WHEN HAS IT BEEN BAD TO HEAR MUSIC THAT BRINGS FAMILY TOGETHER? MY CHRISTMAS SPIRT HAS NOT BEEN LOST IN THIS RESSESION!!!!!!!!!!!!
goodbye.

October 30, 2009 at 11:48 am
(12) Raja says:

THE ONLY TIME I WILL LISTEN TO THESE STATIONS IS WHEN THEY START TO PLAY CHRISTMAS MUSIC
i agree with Chris
i love christmas music November 1st is not early its just right why wait till after thanksgiving? everyone acts embarrased about christmas music yet everyone sings along!!! we love it and need more of it! i want a repeat of last year
CHRISTMAS MUSIC NOVEMBER 1ST = :) HAPPY LISTENERS!!!

November 1, 2009 at 4:34 am
(13) Becky says:

Keep it! It makes me feel good, and maybe ALL of you against it should think of the real meaning of christmas rather than the money, politics, and what not! Then maybe the music would be much better. My family has always had the music on just because thanksgiving always went with christmas. Be thankful were here, even if its not stable!

November 1, 2009 at 7:48 pm
(14) olivia says:

KEEP PLAYING IT NOVEMBER 1ST! TO BAD FOR ALL THE GRINCHES OUT THERE! THERE ARE PLENTLY OTHER STATIONS FOR YOU AND CHRISTMAS ONLY COMES ONCE A YEAR AND ITS THE BEST MUSIC OUT THESE DAYS!

November 3, 2009 at 5:27 am
(15) James says:

I was disappointed when I checked KeZ on Nov 1′st and didn’t hear holiday music. My guess is that they’ll start either Nov 6th or 13th on the Beth and Bill program. That seems to be the kickoff.

This has been an awful year for me and I could use the distraction from worrying about the things I cannot change. I could use a little Burl Ives or Gloria Estefan belting out holiday tunes right now.

I know for a fact that listenership goes up 2 fold or more during the holiday music blitz on KEZ. Not sure about Kool FM. I do know that advertising rates go up during that time of year because of it.

So apparently there are more closet Santa’s than overt Grinches out there.

If you don’t like it, don’t listen. The radio dial is jammed with every type of music you could ever want not to mention the XM options.

November 5, 2009 at 1:42 am
(16) Rick says:

I too think playing Christmas music November 1st is great. It’s the “holiday” season and last year it really helped me get into the Thanksgiving spirit. With the weather in Arizona being so warm, it just never feels like Thanksgiving until it’s upon us. Christmas music just really helps with that. When KEZ and Kool play Christmas music, it’s prett much the only time I listen to them and I listen in my car and all day at work. Yes, I am a Christmas-loving freak, but I think more people should be like me. It’s a great time of year and Christmas music makes me feel good and happy.

Fact: Jingle Bells is really a Thanksgiving song.

November 7, 2009 at 7:27 pm
(17) Angela says:

I can’t wait for the Christmas music to start! What’s wrong with enjoying the holiday season with fun, cheerful songs you can sing along to? They are fun and brighten spirits. With the horrific violence that has gone on the past couple of days, we could all use this break. Bring on the music!! Hope you all have a very safe, happy holiday season!

November 17, 2009 at 6:19 pm
(18) PithyOpine says:

It’s interesting that on Nov. 17, today, there are no stations here playing Christmas music yet!

I was reading this website: http://www.phoenixairchecks.com/phoenix-radio-christmas-music-2009/

It looks like they have inside info about the stations, but that KEZ was originally supposed to start Christmas music on Nov. 1st!

November 18, 2009 at 6:11 pm
(19) Rick says:

It’s interesting that KEZ has a contest to guess the date and time they become “the Holiday Station.” Last week (11/9 – 11/15) the deadline for entries was 11/14 at 11:59 p.m. leading one to reasonably conclude that 11/15 or 11/16 was the start date. By 11/14 or 11/15 (I can’t remember), the deadline for contest entries was moved to 11/22. Now, it certainly would be hard to imagine playing Christmas music before the end of the contest. Looks like they’re shooting for 11/23 or around Thanksgiving.

November 18, 2009 at 6:22 pm
(20) Rick says:

I can no longer find the KEZ contest on their website. It may still be there somewhere, but it was very prominent last week and I couldn’t even find it by searching their site today.

KOOL 94.5 has a message on their site that basically says they are going to continue playing their standard playlist all holiday season with Christmas songs “sprinkled in.”

Sounds like there will be no Christmas music competition this year between the stations. I just hope that KEZ goes all Christmas music at some point soon.

November 19, 2009 at 6:02 pm
(21) Rick says:

Follow-up to the follow-up:

It appears the KEZ contest closed and a winner selected on 11/16 despite the fact that I saw the deadline extended to 11/22. Perhaps the 11/22 was a typo or some other mistake.

November 20, 2009 at 12:34 pm
(22) PithyOpine says:

Check it out!! Christmas-time, on the radio at least… http://www.phoenixairchecks.com/kez-goes-all-christmas/

November 11, 2011 at 3:58 pm
(23) james says:

Get over yourselves and change the station. Bunch of over grown cry babies.

November 12, 2012 at 2:15 pm
(24) Rico says:

i love the xmas music start early i am looking for it now

November 25, 2012 at 2:06 am
(25) Jay B. says:

I definitely agree with you. And it’s not only the Christmas music. Festive decorations are put out in the malls like when? In September? Commercials running… It seems it’s all about marketing, selling, opening your wallets and pockets; just get into the mood and buy, buy, buy…. Don’t misunderstand me, I love the spirit of the season and the music that belongs to it. Just keep that spirit.

November 12, 2013 at 3:20 pm
(26) steve says:

AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!! It’s HIGH TIME to put ourselves in a less stressed-out, more festive, forgiving mood….. BEST radio station !!!! ( we Elves TRULY appreciate it : )

November 15, 2013 at 1:52 pm
(27) John says:

After my nasty email to the program director last year I’m glad to see they started a little later this year. Now let’s see when they stop. My biggest issue is that last year on Dec.26 no Christmas music. That’s insane that’s the holiday week. 12 days of Christmas. If anything it should be played Dec.1 to Jan. 1.

November 15, 2013 at 5:44 pm
(28) Judy Hedding says:

Hi John,

As far as I recall, they started on November 16th in 2012 (also a Friday).