Fountain Hills is a small, scenic desert community located east of Scottsdale and about 45 minutes from Sky Harbor International Airport. The town is surrounded by mountains with sweeping mountain views including Four Peaks, the Superstition Mountains and the McDowell Mountains, and boasts a natural desert landscape.
Even though Fountain Hills is a town and not a city, and it is a relatively small community compared to some of its neighbors, there is still plenty to do there.
Fountain Hills, Arizona Attractions and Activities
- With a name like Fountain Hills, of course there is a fountain. But not just any fountain. Built more than 30 years ago, this dramatic landmark is a centerpiece of the town in Fountain Park. The fountain is located in the middle of a man-made 28-acre lake in the heart of Fountain Hills. One of the world's highest fountains, the 560-foot tall plume of water, shoots to the sky and is visible for many miles.
- Obtain an understanding of the history of Fountain Hills at the River of Time Museum. Small but sophisticated, this is one of my favorite community historical museums in the Greater Phoenix area. It isn't free to get in, but it only costs a few bucks.
- There are several beautiful golf courses in the lovely surroundings of Fountain Hills. Two of my favorite courses are in this area.
- Fountain Hills really knows how to put on a party! The Fountain Hills Great Fair takes place each February. Over 500 artists and artisans line the Avenue of the Fountains Boulevard and a variety of music and food make this Fair another 'must do' event for the Town. The annual Hot Air Balloon Rally, which is a highlight of the Fair, takes off early Sunday morning. In March, guess what color the fountain turns at the St. Patrick's Day Celebration? Then, in November, you can enjoy the Fountain Hills Festival of Arts and Crafts. This Festival attracts more than 200,000 visitors every year to enjoy the artwork, the entertainment, the food and the hospitality of Fountain Hills.
- At Fort McDowell Adventures you can experience the wild west just minutes from one of the biggest cities in the country. Located on the 25,000 acre Yavapai Indian Reservation, you can enjoy horseback riding, cattle drives, hayrides and much more. Saguaro Lake Ranch Trail Rides in the Tonto National Forest let you experience the “Old West” on trails that take you on Saguaro cactus studded ridges, across and along the Salt River, into arroyos, and up creosote covered hills that overlook Saguaro Lake.
- Enjoy boating and fishing? Saguaro Lake is close by! You can also take a leisurely, 90-minute narrated tour of Saguaro Lake on the Desert Belle.
- One of the favorite pastimes in the Phoenix area in the summer is riding an inner tube down the Verde and Salt rivers just southeast of Fountain Hills. Salt River Tubing & Recreation will help you have a great time on the river.
- Interested in camping, hiking, biking or horseback riding? McDowell Mountain Regional Park is one of the largest and most scenic recreational areas in Maricopa County.
- Fort McDowell Casino boasts the state's largest card room, classes and free entertainment. Try your luck!
- Fountain Hills Community Theatre is a small, non-profit theatre presenting shows throughout the year for both the general community as well as for children.
Enjoy your visit to Fountain Hills, Arizona!
All dates, times, prices and offerings are subject to change without notice.