Every year, twice per year, downtown Tempe, Arizona is transformed for the Tempe Festival of the Arts. The city streets near Arizona State University in the downtown business district of the City of Tempe are closed to vehicular traffic. Artists begin setting up their tents. People with all kinds of crafts and products do the same. Food and commercial vendors begin laying out their booths. Musicians check out the equipment at the various entertainment areas. Local law enforcement and security plan their strategies for keeping everyone safe and ensuring a pleasant, family environment. It is time for the Tempe Festival of the Arts. Watch the video!
When is the Tempe Festival of the Arts?
The Festival is presented each Fall and Spring.
2014 Spring Festival: March 28 – 30, 2014
2014 Fall Festival: December 5 – 7, 2014
The hours are 10 a.m. to dusk.
How much does it cost to get in?
Nothing! There's no admission charge.
Where does it happen?
It takes place on the streets of downtown Tempe. It is a rain or shine event.
Where do I park?
During most weekends, downtown Tempe is a very busy place. During the Festival of the Arts that is exponentially true! On the next page you'll find parking details.
What else is there to know?It is consistently one of the largest arts and entertainment festivals in the Southwest, drawing nearly half a million people to the award-winning event each year.
- Many applicants apply to have a booth at each festival. About half of those are accepted, which means that there are more than 400 people displaying their arts and crafts.
- Exhibitors may only show hand-made works of art or products, and must represent their own work at the festival. That means that you won't find any mass-produced items here.
- There are more than 50 traditional and ethnic food booths at the festival.
- Continuous live entertainment includes classic rock, jazz, pop, blues, big band and Celtic music.
- The Kids Innovation Station is where kids can create their own crafts and participate in activities designed for the younger set. It is located on the south side of 5th Street, between Mill and Myrtle.
- The Arizona Wine Festival will showcase Arizona wineries that will offer six tastings for $12, and includes a commemorative wine glass. The Wine Festival is on 7th Street, just West of Mill Avenue.
Do you have pictures?
Any other tips?
Wear your most comfortable shoes. There's a lot of area to cover! And there's no better place to shop for birthday or holiday gifts (or something for yourself). For more information about the event, visit the Tempe Festival of the Arts online.
All dates, times, prices and offerings are subject to change without notice.