The Bottom Line
- Comprehensive information about desert environment
- Diagrams provided to complement tutorials
- Good for beginners as well as the more experienced
- Some color photos would have been nice
- Includes information about the desert, including weather, physical characteristics, flora and fauna.
- Provides extensive details and recommendations about equipment and supplies.
- Discusses desert hazards: animal, weather-related, falls and other injuries.
- An entire chapter is devoted to desert survival.
- Many details about navigation: different map types, coordinates, types of compasses, how GPS works.
- Mr. Johnson provides charts and illustrations for those that appreciate visual aids.
Guide Review - The Ultimate Desert Handbook
I have to admit, I'll probably never be anything but a two hour trail hiker. As I read the book, I was frightened to think how much advanced body conditioning I would need just to carry the equipment and supplies that are recommended!
This author is an individual who clearly loves the desert, and has used the writing of this book to share the information that will help other people enjoy it as he does.