Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport is the largest airport in Arizona. It is located right in downtown Phoenix, making it very convenient to get to all the cities of the greater Phoenix area, including Tempe, Mesa, Scottsdale and other cities and towns. It is also very close to the Phoenix Convention Center, Chase Field (home of the Arizona Diamondbacks) and the US Airways Center (home of the Phoenix Suns).
Here's what I appreciate about Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport:
- This major airport is one of the easiest to navigate in your car, from a signage perspective.
- The airport is modern, with light and large spaces. It is pleasant to walk around, and it is clean.
- Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport prides itself on its Art Program. If you have time to spare, you can see wonderful art exhibits. There are permanent collections as well as changing exhibits.
- Getting from terminal to terminal doesn't take forever. Ten minutes usually does the trick.
- There are neat shops and dining options at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport at Terminals 3 and 4 and new places are opening up all the time as Terminal 4 continues it's modernization project. Businesses here generally don't overcharge for their merchandise or food, as happens at some other airports.
- I like the easy-to-read display at Baggage Claim that shows where my bags will arrive. No more strategic positioning to pounce on a carousel when the flight number pops up!
- The Phoenix airport was the first to install an innovative paging system, doing away with those white paging phones. Messages may be sent in a variety of ways including a touch screen, Braille enhanced keyboard, a telephone handset or headset, or an EZ access device for those with limited hand mobility. Instructions are available in English, Spanish or German. The names of those being paged are both announced through speakers inside the terminal and displayed on monitors throughout the airport.
- The are nearly 150 Assistance Call Boxes in parking lots at Phoenix Sky Harbor. Now if you have a flat tire, or can't get into your car, or can't even find your car, help is just a call away.
- Sky Harbor Airport now has short term (less than four hours) parking. I can always find a spot now when I'm just going to pick someone up! Don't want to park, but you need a place to wait? Try a Cell Phone Lot.
- Free WiFi is now available in all three terminals in the passenger areas, near the gates, shops and restaurants.
- Sky Harbor is dog friendly!
There are always improvements that can be made. Every time I list one of them here, Sky Harbor takes care of it--even if it takes a couple of years. Pretty soon, there won't be anything left on my wish list.... In any case, here are some items that could be improved at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport:
- It doesn't bother me, but many people don't understand why there are Terminals 2, 3 and 4 but no Terminal 1. There used to be a Terminal 1 -- I remember it! I remember when the checked bags used to be thrown out onto the sidewalk as they came off the plane!
- It can take a very long time--20 or 30 minutes--for the baggage to arrive at Baggage Claim. I find this especially true at Terminal 4, the largest of the three terminals.
- Terminal 2, now the oldest and slated for destruction when a new terminal is built in the near future, is lacking in shopping and eating choices. It's not a very attractive terminal, either!
- - - - - - - - - -
Next Page >> Phoenix Airport Statistics