Where Are The Scorpions
Scorpion Map for Greater Phoenix
The Arizona Poison and Drug Information Center used to track the calls received by their operators relative to scorpion stings. A study published in 2002 by Nancy McIntyre, under the auspices of the Central Arizona - Phoenix Long-Term Ecological Research in the Global Institute of Sustainability at Arizona State University (for brevity, referred to as "CAP LTER"), published the results of her research about where scorpion stings were
reported in the greater Phoenix area.
The purpose of her study of scorpion stings in Phoenix was to provide data that might be helpful in land development decisions.
The map below is the result of her research. Keep in mind some very important facts:
- This data is more than 10 years old. The map was created based on reported scorpion stings between January 1, 1996 and December 31, 1997.
- It is not possible to determine how many scorpion stings went unreported.
- New areas of development, and growth in the greater Phoenix area that has occurred since the study was published, was not included.
- As development of the area has changed, so might the scorpion habitats.
- Because an area didn't have scorpions then, doesn't mean it won't have scorpions now.
- As far as I know, no one maintains/publishes current data on reported scorpion stings in the Phoenix area.
It has been noted that there seem to be more scorpion sightings in the City of Phoenix, Paradise Valley, Fountain Hills, and South Mountain areas of the metro area. Here's what Ms. McIntyre found in her study.
Zip Codes in 1996 to 1997 That Were More Likely To Have Scorpions
Phoenix: 85020, 85023, 85027, 85028, 85040, 85044, 85048
Mesa: 85202, 85213
Paradise Valley: 85253
Scottsdale: 85254, 85255, 85259
Fountain Hills: 85268
Tempe: 85282, 85283, 85284
In the following map that accompanied the study results, the redder the area, the more scorpion stings were reported in that zip code during the stated period.
Scorpion Stings in Greater Phoenix
this page in the About.com Phoenix Forum.
If you are moving here, see what local residents say about their neighborhood with respect to scorpions
If you live here, post your scorpion information to help people moving here.
|More About Scorpions in Phoenix|