What is a Segway? A Segway is a two-wheeled self-balancing personal transport apparatus. You've probably seen them being used by security at some malls, or by employees at attractions that cover a great deal of territory. What many people don't realize is that a segway is not only useful means of transportation -- it's fun!
Take a Tour of Tempe Town Lake
Segway Tours of Tempe offers a guided and narrated tour of Tempe Town Lake in downtown Tempe. This is a fun way to experience a Segway while getting to know a popular recreational area near downtown Tempe and ASU. The tours are suitable for locals and visitors alike. Families, couples, business associates, singles -- it's all good.
On your Tempe Segway Tour you'll hear about Hayden Butte, Town Lake Marina, Papago Park, the Mill Avenue District, the area habitat, the bridges, ASU and more. Wireless radios are utilized so all riders can hear the tour operator while you ride around downtown Tempe. At about the halfway point there's a stop at the Marina for photos and restrooms.
No Experience Necessary
Segway Tours of Tempe understands that most people have never been on a Segway. Each tour begins with a training session, and from what I hear, very few people are unable to master the Segway operation. The Segway balances for you. You just make subtle movements with your body to control it. You must be at least 16 years old and weigh more than 100 pounds to take a Segway tour.
More About the Segway
The Segway is a zero-emissions vehicle, making it even more environmentally friendly than a scooter. It is battery operated, and charges on regular household electricity. The top speed is about 12 mph, and a Segway will travel up to 24 miles on a full charge, depending on the weight of the rider.
Cost and Location
Segway of Tempe and Segway of Scottsdale both offer tours. In Tempe you'll meet at Segway of Tempe's offices near Mill Ave and Rio Salado Parkway. It's called the Tempe Town Lake Discovery Tour. In Scottsdale you'll be on the Desert Ridge Discovery Tour on the property of the JW Marriott Desert Ridge Resort, which is where groups meet. I know, that's technically in Phoenix and not Scottsdale, but I didn't name the tour! The charge for a tour is $75 per person (February 2013). For groups of 7 people or more lower rates may be available. Tours are offered twice per day at both the Tempe and Scottsdale locations. During the summer, sunset tours may be offered.
10 Tips For Taking a Segway Tour
- Bring your camera and a bottle of water. The Segways on the tour have small storage areas. Leave your hat in the car, since you'll be wearing a helmet.
- Wear flat comfortable shoes. You'll be standing for nearly all of the 90 minutes on the segway.
- I would have liked a few more 60-second breaks during my tour -- my feet kept cramping!
- It is important to be relaxed on your Segway; it makes maneuvering much easier.
- The Segway doesn't go faster than about 12 mph. That's slower than a golf cart or a bicycle, and about as fast as a very fast run.
- Segways should be used by people who are between 100 and 250 pounds.
- Thinking of buying a Segway for yourself for short trips? Taking one of these tours is a great way to see how you'd like it.
- A Segway weighs just about 100 pounds, so I wouldn't consider it for a situation where you'd have to lift it, such as carrying it up and down steps.
- You can get to the Tempe Segway Tour on METRO light rail. Use the Mill Avenue and 3rd Street station. Here's a METRO light rail map.
- According to the Segway product web site, "It takes about 15 minutes to get enough charge to travel one mile/1.6km. A full day's charge (approx. 8-10 hrs.) costs less than a newspaper in electricity."
All dates, times, prices and offerings are subject to change without notice.
As is common in the industry, the writer was provided with a complimentary tour for the purpose of the article. While it has not influenced this article, About.com believes in full disclosure of all potential conflicts of interest. For more information, see our ethics policy. All prices and offerings mentioned herein are subject to change without notice. 07/09