If you want to make a special outing out of your day at the races at Turf Paradise, I highly recommend springing for the Turf Club experience. That will cost you an extra couple of bucks over the Grandstand admission, plus $5 per person for a table that is reserved for you for the entire afternoon.
The menu at the Turf Club isn't extensive, but there are selections for everyone. Appetizers are between $8 and $10. The Tex-Mex Eggrolls ($8) were very good, and could be a meal all by themselves. A nice selection of entree-sized salads starts at about $8. The Trifecta Salad ($10.50), with both chicken salad and tuna, made that decision easier! It was well-presented with fresh fruit. Pasta, chicken and beef entrees, starting at $10, are available for people who want a full dinner-style meal. From the sandwich choices, I was very happy with the tender beef in the Turf Sliders ($13). The Bread Pudding ($6) is a popular dessert. If it is possible to overdo the whiskey sauce, they do here, but I can forgive that!
Here are a few things to remember about eating at the Turf Club at Turf Paradise:
- Reservations are recommended.
- There is no minimum order at the Turf Club. Some people just go to have dessert and coffee or enjoy a Bloody Mary or two or three while they watch the races.
- The tables right near the glass are nice, but your table might be in the sun for at least a part of the afternoon. Bring sunglasses for those tables.
- The tables are on different levels, so you'll have no trouble seeing the races through large glass windows no matter which level you are on. Here's a picture of what tables at the Turf Club look like.
- There are separate betting windows right at the Turf Club, so the lines are shorter.
- Be kind to your server. Because your table never turns over (meaning that you have that table for the entire afternoon) yours is the only tip your server will receive from your table.
- The Turf Club is only open during live race days from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. It is closed on Wednesdays and Thursdays, and during the summer.
As is common in the industry, the writer was provided with a complimentary meal for the purpose of the review. While it has not influenced this review, About.com believes in full disclosure of all potential conflicts of interest. For more information, see our ethics policy. All prices and offerings mentioned herein are subject to change without notice. 12/08