Get To Know the Cities and Towns of Greater Phoenix
By Judy Hedding
- Avondale and Goodyear
- Litchfield Park
- El Mirage
- Sun Cities
- Other North and Northeast Valley Cities and Towns
- Other Southeast Valley Cities and Towns
About Maricopa County
Maricopa County is located in central Arizona, and nine of the ten largest cities in the state are located here. As I mention in the introduction, some people consider "Greater Phoenix" and "Maricopa County" to be synonymous. Most of the time, when I describe something in Metro Phoenix or Greater Phoenix, it's pretty close to being the same as Maricopa County although I do consider some communities outside of Maricopa County (but physically close by) to be part of the area if people there typically work, school or play here.
- Where is Maricopa County?
- Ten Largest Arizona Cities
- Population of Maricopa County
- What Is a County Island?
- Maricopa County - Fast Facts and Tidbits
Although many people tend to refer to the entire Greater Phoenix area as simply 'Phoenix,' the City of Phoenix is the hub of it all. Phoenix is the state capital, and the non-agricultural history of the area is concentrated right here. Phoenix is also the 6th largest city in the country.
- Get to Know Phoenix, Arizona
- Driving Times and Distances from Phoenix
- Phoenix Local Attractions
- Phoenix Dog Parks
- Phoenix Special Events
- Phoenix Movie Theaters
- Phoenix Shopping Malls
- Phoenix Urban Villages
- Phoenix Concerts and Shows
- Phoenix Hotels and Resorts
- Phoenix Parks
- Chase Field
- US Airways Center
Mesa is one of Arizona's largest cities in terms of both area and population. It is located in what is often referred to as the East Valley -- the southeast portion of the Greater Phoenix area.
- Mesa Dog Park
- Mesa Skate Park
- Mesa Arizona Temple Visitors' Center
- HoHoKam Park
- Driving Times and Distances from Mesa
Chandler, Arizona was named for a veterinarian, Dr. A. J. Chandler, who settled in the area in 1891. In 1920 the Town of Chandler incorporated, with Dr. Chandler as its first Mayor. Chandler is in the part of town often referred to as the East Valley, and is southeast of Phoenix.
- Get to Know Chandler, Arizona
- Chandler Attractions
- Chandler Movie Theaters
- Chandler Center for the Arts
- Chandler Fashion Center (Chandler Mall)
- Chandler Hotels
- Chandler Skate Park
- Chandler Dog Parks
- Chandler Ostrich Festival
- Driving Times and Distances from Chandler
Gilbert incorporated on July 6, 1920. It was known as the "Hay Capital of the World" until the late 1920s. My, a lot has changed since then! Gilbert, Arizona was recognized as the fastest growing city in America between 1990 and 2005 with a growth rate of nearly 500%.
Tempe is located in the southeast part of the Greater Phoenix area. It is one of the cities that is included an area often referred to as the East Valley. One of Tempe's claim to fame is that it is the primary location of Arizona State University.
- Get to Know Tempe, Arizona
- Tempe Movie Theaters
- Tempe Attractions
- Tempe Dog Parks
- Arizona Mills Shopping Mall
- Arizona State University
- Sun Devil Stadium
- Tempe Diablo Stadium
- Tempe Hotels and Resorts
- Tempe Center for the Arts
- ASU Gammage (Gammage Auditorium)
- Tempe Festival of the Arts
- Driving Times and Distances from Tempe
The City of Scottsdale is often thought of as Arizona's playground for the rich and famous. Sometimes referred to as Snotsdale by critical (or envious?) Arizonans, you'll find quite a concentration of high end shopping, luxury resorts, fine dining and country club living in Scottsdale, Arizona.
- Get to Know Scottsdale, Arizona
- Scottsdale, Snotsdale or Snobsdale?
- Scottsdale Attractions
- Scottsdale Movie Theaters
- Scottsdale Center for the Performing Arts
- Scottsdale Shopping Malls
- Scottsdale Hotels and Resorts
- Scottsdale Night Clubs
- Scottsdale Stadium
- TPC Scottsdale
- Phoenix Open - PGA Golf Tournament
- Driving Times and Distances from Scottsdale
The Town of Cave Creek is located in the northern part of the Valley of the Sun. It's a town with a western spirit and a history of mining and ranching.
- Get To Know Cave Creek, Arizona
- Cave Creek Museum
- Cave Creek Balloon Festival
- Driving Times and Distances from Cave Creek
- Hotels Near Cave Creek
Glendale, Arizona is in the northwest portion of the Greater Phoenix area. In recent years, Glendale has seen major growth in both residential and commercial development. Two major stadiums now have a Glendale, Arizona address, and the city is building toward more development as a tourism and entertainment destination.
- Get to Know Glendale, Arizona
- Glendale Movie Theaters
- Glendale Dog Parks
- Glendale Attractions
- Arrowhead Towne Center
- University of Phoenix Stadium (Cardinals Stadium)
- Jobing.com Arena (Glendale Arena)
- Glendale Hotels
- Fiesta Bowl
- Driving Times and Distances from Glendale
Surprise, Arizona was named for Surprise, Nebraska. The community incorporated in 1960. In the past decade Surprise, AZ has grown from a town of about 2,000 homes to a bustling community for both families and retirees, with the population more than tripling in that time. The adult living community of Sun City Grand is actually within the Surprise city limits.
Peoria, Arizona is located northwest of the city of Phoenix, and is considered part of the greater Phoenix area. It was founded in 1886 by settlers from Peoria, Illinois.
- Get to Know Peoria, Arizona
- Peoria Attractions
- Peoria Movie Theater
- Peoria Stadium (Peoria Sports Complex)
- Hotels in Peoria
- Peoria Dog Parks
- Peoria Skate Park
- Driving Times and Distances from Peoria
- Readers Comment: What's It Like to Live in Peoria?
The City of Maricopa is not in Maricopa County; it's actually in Pinal County. How confusing! Maricopa is located about 20 miles south of Phoenix.
- Get To Know Maricopa, Arizona
- Maricopa Great American Barbecue
- Driving Times and Distances from Maricopa
Avondale and Goodyear
Avondale was incorporated in 1946, and is probably best known as the location of Phoenix International Raceway, where NASCAR events are held. Goodyear was also incorporated in November 1946 and was originally known for its agricultural success, especially with respect to cotton.
- Phoenix International Raceway
- Billy Moore Heritage Days (Avondale)
- Avondale Movie Theater
- Avondale Dog Park
- Avondale Hotels
- Goodyear Movie Theater
- Goodyear Dog Parks
- Driving Times and Distances from Avondale
- Driving Times and Distances from Goodyear
The City of Litchfield Park was incorporated in 1987. It the home of Luke Air Force Base.
El Mirage is a residential community in the northwest part of the Greater Phoenix area, near Sun City and Surprise. Historically agricultural, it is a primarily residential community of about 25,000 people, about half of which are of Hispanic origin (2009 Census estimate).
The old west (and the new west) is alive and well in Wickenburg, about 60 miles northwest of Phoenix.
- Wickenburg Gold Rush Days
- Del E. Webb Center for the Performing Arts
- Driving Times and Distances from Wickenburg
Sun City and Sun City West are both large communities in the northwest portion of the Greater Phoenix area. Sun City began in 1960 and was the first master-planned "active adult retirement community" in the United states. Sun City West began in 1978 two miles west of the original Sun City. Their popularity and national attention is the biggest reason that some people think of the Phoenix area as a community of retirees! By the way--Sun City Grand is actually part of Surprise.
Other North and Northeast Valley Cities and Towns
The Towns of Carefree and Cave Creek are north of East Phoenix and Scottsdale, and are often mentioned together, as sister towns. Fountain Hills is northeast of Scottsdale. They are all generally considered upscale communities.
- Driving Times and Distances from Fountain Hills
- Carefree Hotels
- Driving Times and Distances from Carefree
Other Southeast Valley Cities and Towns
Queen Creek and Apache Junction are located in the southeast part of the Greater Phoenix area and have experienced significant growth as people look for more affordable alternatives and lifestyles. Gold Canyon is an unincorporated community in the area. The Superstition Mountains are the backdrop for these southeastern communities.