The Bottom Line
- Wild west musical comedy show
- Family entertainment
- Performers have good vocals
- No plot or story, just musical entertainment
- Most of the songs are not ones that you'd recognize
- Menu is very restrictive
- Are you looking for some wholesome evening entertainment? The Howdy Show might be just what you are looking for.
- Rockin' R Ranch in Mesa, Arizona is the home of The Howdy Show. Arrive early to walk around the western town.
- Your meal, beverages and tax are included in your ticket price to The Howdy Show. Bring cash for a gratuity for the servers.
- Tickets start at $30 for adults and $20 for children 6-12. Five and under are free. (2011)
- If you require wheelchair seating or have special dietary restrictions, call in advance to make arrangements.
Guide Review - The Howdy Show
About the VenueThe Howdy Show takes place at Rockin' R Ranch in Mesa. It's a wild west town (long ago it was a working cattle and horse ranch) with a saloon, gunfights, gold panning and horse-drawn wagon rides.
The Howdy Show takes place in the large theater. There's an elevated stage. Guests are seated at picnic-style tables (no backs to the seats). Seating is assigned by table, but not by seat. VIPs are seated center stage, where no one there has their back to the stage. If you are sitting in a row to either side of the theater, the people who get to that table first will pick the side that faces the stage. Others may have to turn around, which can be uncomfortable while eating. Each guest has plenty of room at the seat.
About the ShowThe entire program lasted about an hour an a half. There are five performers who sing mostly comical ditties and dance, occasionally venture out into the audience, and encourage the audience to clap and holler. There is one number where audience members participate on stage.
The Howdy Show is upbeat and boisterous, clean (with very mild innuendo), colorful and lively. Many of the songs are not tunes that you would recognize or be able to sing along with; they are more geared toward wild west humor and jokes. You can meet the entertainers outside the theater after the show.
About the FoodYou'll be eating while the show is going on, which makes it a shorter evening than many other dinner theater events. Dinner is served family style. There was plenty for everyone, and servers were willing to bring more on request. On the night I attended, dinner consisted of an iceberg lettuce salad with ranch dressing, skinless stuffed chicken, beef short ribs, mashed potatoes, baked beans and apple pie with a dollop of ice cream. No substitutions or other options. It wasn't a meal that I would order, but it was....appropriate/acceptable for this event and at this price! Soft drinks are included.
Who Should See The Howdy Show?The audience for this show was decidedly older, a senior crowd for the most part. Families with pre-teen children would also be good candidates for this show, as would anyone who enjoys wholesome, western-themed entertainment.
As is common in the industry, the writer was provided with a complimentary meal for the purpose of the review. While it has not influenced this review, About.com believes in full disclosure of all potential conflicts of interest. For more information, see our ethics policy. All prices and offerings mentioned herein are subject to change without notice. 01/10