- 1 ½ lb. Masa for Tamales
- ½ lb. Lard
- 2 c Fresh corn
- 1 c Jack cheese
- 1 c Roasted peeled and diced poblano chiles
- ½ c Milk
- ½ Tbl. Salt
- ½ Tsp. Sugar
- ½ Tsp. Baking Powder
- 16 Corn husks soaked in warm water
1. In a mixing bowl, beat lard until light and fluffy with salt, sugar, and baking powder.
2. Bit by bit (think golf-ball size chunks), add masa. Add a little milk while adding the masa so the dough does not get too thick.
3. When all the masa has been added, continue mixing for about two more minutes until no chunks of masa are in the dough. You want it to be very smooth.
4. Add remaining ingredients and mix with a spoon.
5. Shake off excess water from corn husks and divide the dough evenly among them.
6. Roll to close and fold up bottoms or tie ends off with strips of husk or string.
7. Place in your steamer and steam for one hour.
- More Holiday Recipes From Arizona Restaurants
- Southwestern Thanksgiving Ideas
- Restaurants Serving Thanksgiving Dinner
- Restaurants Preparing Thanksgiving Meals To Go
- Restaurants Serving Christmas Dinner
- More Southwest Recipes
- My Favorite Southwest Cook Books
In response to the first comment here, this recipe was revised by the Chef in January 2009. - Judy Hedding, Your Guide to Phoenix, AZ