The Bottom Line
- Casual atmosphere, large bar
- DJ and dancing in the evening
- Open until 2 a.m. every day
- Cover charge on Friday and Saturday
- Go for the drinks, not for the food.
- The food at Calico Jack's is described as Tex-Mex and Mexican.
- Nice, large patio next to Waterdance Plaza at Westgate City Center -- a great place to watch and be watched!
- Open seven days per week for lunch and dinner.
- Happy hour specials and happy hour menu Monday through Friday.
Guide Review - Calico Jack's
My guess is that the draw to Calico Jack's is not the food, but rather the drinks, happy hour and dancing. Since I was there to eat on a Sunday afternoon, I can't address any of those activities -- I can only tell you about lunch.
Not excited about the complimentary chips and salsa, we ordered a pound of Jack's Wings in Mole Sauce ($13.99) for five of us to share as an appetizer. The wings are all drummettes and come shaped such that you can handle the bone and eat the roundish piece of chicken. There were tasty and crispy -- good! (although not really mole). The Arizona Cheese Steak Wrap ($13) was fine and was accompanied by a tub of black beans that were unappealing enough that no one tried them. The Fiesta Mac & Cheese ($13) was a bit soupy, and somewhat dull in flavor. I would pass on the All-You Can-Eat Brunch ($15). I can recommend the Margarita Chicken ($14) with tequila lime cream and [lots of] jalapeno mashed potatoes.
I am a traditionalist when it comes to flan, but the Raspberry Flan ($6) had a nice flavor. All desserts come covered with "homemade Tres Leches sauce" and other items drizzled and dripped, not necessary on flan.
It's always a turnoff to me to eat a meal in a place where the exterminator is spraying. Not in the back, but in the public area. Of course, I know that the exterminator comes now and then, but I don't want to see it.
Our order took an especially long time, and our server told us that the manager said that dessert was on the house. Although there were five of us, we only ordered one dessert. They charged us for it.