The Bottom Line
- Popular location near Jobing.com Arena and University of Phoenix Stadium
- Nice, big bar area
- Many small diasappointments
- Somewhat overpriced
- Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant is a chain with fewer than 20 restaurants nationwide.
- For many, the hand crafted beer is the attraction at Gordon Biersch Brewery.
- Many dinners at Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant have an Asian slant to them. Pizzas and salads available.
- Not many choices for vegetarians here.
- I've given the Gordon Biersch Brewery a better than fair rating because I'll know next time what not to order-fries!
Guide Review - Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant
The Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant in Glendale, Arizona is located at the Westgate and is near both the Jobing.com Arena and the University of Phoenix Stadium. Since there are not too many restaurants in the area at the time of this writing (December 2006) you can expect Gordon Biersch Brewery to be a busy place, and especially so before and after sporting events. The pleasantly sports-barred restaurant has a large bar area with big-screen TVs. That's clearly the place to be on game day.
I liked the casual, modern atmosphere of Gordon Biersch. I wanted to like the restaurant a lot more than I did.
We ordered two appetizers. The two fairly hefty crab cakes ($10) were pretty bland. The star dish of the day for all of us was the Southwest Egg Rolls ($8) with pulled chicken and jalapeno ranch dipping sauce. Very reminiscent of the Southwestern Eggrolls at Chili's (but smaller) so if you like those, you'll like these. Four 1/2 eggrolls are filling, and the Asian slaw was fresh and good.
For lunch we had a Mushroom Swiss Burger ($10), Fish-n-Chips ($10) and a Pulled Pork Sandwich ($9). All sandwiches come on a huge too-much-bread roll. They also come with the house specialty, garlic fries.
I love garlic. There's no recipe that calls for garlic, in my opinion, that includes quite enough. However, the garlic fries are in a class by themselves--and not in a good way. They are very greasy, and garlic smell overwhelms the rest of the food. They couldn't remove our plates fast enough for us. I was tasting garlic for literally 8 hours after lunch was over, and I ony ate about half my fries. As for our lunches, the burger was my pick of the three. It was nice and big and juicy, but came a bit too pink.
We wanted dessert, but there are only four choices, and when we ordered the one we wanted, they told us they were out.