The Bottom Line
- Fresh, quality food prepared where you can see it
- Reasonable prices
- Dining room is small, not fancy
- Can be crowded and loud
- Matt's Big Breakfast is located near downtown Phoenix, but not in what some might call the city center.
- Matt's Big Breakfast is closed on Mondays.
- Beware! Prices on the online menu might not be current.
- Breakfast is served all day at Matt's Big Breakfast.
- Matt's Big Breakfast will try to accommodate special requests, for instance, for vegetarian selections.
- Matt's Big Breakfast is a one-of-a-kind restaurant, not a chain.
- Matt's Big Breakfast was featured on the Food Network's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.
Guide Review - Matt's Big Breakfast
Matt's Big Breakfast is an unassuming little place, in an unusual location, and serves unusually satisfying food. Acclaimed by many since Matt's Big Breakfast opened up, I'd recommend Matt's Big Breakfast especially to people who miss the feel of the small neighborhood cafe. This place really fits in an area being reborn with upwardly mobile professionals who are moving into downtown Phoenix area condos.
Matt's Big Breakfast is the kind of place where you really want to bring a book or newspaper and spend the morning, but you'll feel too guilty to do it because of the line of people out the door waiting to be served! If you have more than four people in your party you'll have a challenge getting a table. On the day we visited, two of us had breakfast and coffee, and also shared an order of griddlecakes. I didn't find much about the pancakes to write home about, but the omelet was wonderful, home made home fries were just right, the thick bacon (I asked for mine crispy) was delicious, and the off-the-bone ham was a nice change of pace.
Don't expect to have a quiet, romantic discussion or a private meeting here. The tables are close together. But by all means bring your patience and your appetite to Matt's Big Breakfast. It's worth the wait.