The Bottom Line
- Upscale dining option in East Valley
- High quality beef
- NFL lovers will be happy
- Did not offer or mention special prix fixe dinner option.
- Shula's Steak House is located inside the Wild Horse Pass Hotel on the Gila River Indian Community. It is adjacent to the casino.
- While smoking is allowed in the casino, it is not permitted in the restaurant.
- Shula's claims, "we only offer the best beef money can buy" and that only 1% of beef produced is good enough to be served here.
- Don Shula was, of course, a famous NFL coach. The decor of the restaurant is all about football. The steak menu is even provided on an autographed football!
- If you can finish the 48 oz. Shula Cut porterhouse steak, you become a member of the 48oz Club!
- I don't recommend Shula's for kids.
- Check the website for specials before you go.
Guide Review - Shula's Steak House
During our visit to Shula's we ordered a bowl of Lobster Bisque ($12); their signature appetizer BBQ Shrimp ($15); a 12 oz Filet Mignon ($43;) a 16 oz.New York Strip ($41); a side of Lobster Mashed Potatoes ($12); a side of Sauteed Mushrooms ($9) and a Chocolate Souffle for Two ($16). I can recommend them all. The BBQ sauce on the shrimp was a bit overwhelming for the four large, meaty shrimp wrapped in bacon, but you don't have to eat all the BBQ sauce either! Lobster Bisque was traditional, smooth and mild. The filet was not prepared as requested, but the servers ask everyone to check their meat when it is brought to the table. They took care of the filet, but, of course, that meant that one of us ate alone while the other waited for the entree. The steaks were both excellent, as were the sides. Tip: I wouldn't order the lobster mashed potato side after having the lobster bisque! The souffle was very nice, and came with serve-your-own potions of sauce and ice cream. We ended up taking some food home.
Aside from some quirky serving issues, the only disappointment at Shula's was that, upon looking at the website after our experience, I noted a lovely looking steak & lobster prix fixe three-course meal at a very reasonable price. No one at the restaurant ever mentioned it, and it wasn't indicated on any menu that we were given. It would have been nice to know about it.
The atmosphere at Shula's is what I would call refined/sports fanatic! Football fans will be enthralled by wall-to-wall photos and memorabilia relating to Coach Shula's career and the NFL. People who aren't impressed by reading the menu off a pigskin will still appreciate the quiet, comfortable and spacious dining room.