The Bottom Line
- Mexican sandwiches, sides and salads
- Made to order food, but fast enough for lunch with time constraints
- Beer and margaritas available
- Free fountain soda refills
- Some menu items pictured on the Torta Rica web site don't look like what I got
- Torta Rica is open every day for lunch and dinner. It is located at 91st Avenue and Thomas Road in west Phoenix.
- There's a salsa bar Torta Rica with a few different salsas, pico de gallo and pickled carrots.
- The items that are not made in house, like chips, rolls, and flan, are made locally.
- Check the Torta Rica web site for Happy Hour specials and coupons.
Guide Review - Torta Rica Authentic Mexican Kitchen
We were split on the shredded chicken burrito; I prefer mine without rice and beans inside, and I actually thought $6 was a bit much for it. The Vampiro was a nice surprise. Not bloody as the name might suggest, and not a Mexican drink, this is pretty much a tostada without the beans. We enjoyed it and the kids will like it, too.
No sides come with the sandwiches, so a Meal Deal -- rice, beans (tasty, and not refried), chips and a drink for an additional $2 -- is recommended. There's a value menu including torta sliders, as well as kids meals for under $5.
The desserts at Torta Rica should not be an afterthought. This is the first time I'd ever tried bionicos, mixed fruit with honey, granola and coconut. It was fresh and delightful. We also gave the flan a thumbs up, although I wish it looked anything like the photo on the web site. The presentation in a takeout container was disappointing.
All dates, times, prices and offerings are subject to change without notice. (09/08)