The Bottom Line
deseo is the place for an upscale dining experience. It is the premier dining establishment at the Westin Kierland Resort and Spa in Scottsdale. I've seen the cuisine described as "nuevo Latino" (not at all to be confused with Mexican food). Excluding beverages, tax and gratuity, a three course meal at deseo, comprised of either a ceviche, appetizer, soup or salad with an entrée and a dessert, will range from about $40 to $60 per person.
- Unique Latin flavors
- Artistic presentation
- Eclectic ambiance
- More ceviche and appetizer offerings than entrées
- Deseo, pronounced deh-say-oh, means "desire" in Spanish.
- The food at deseo is beautifully presented--colorful and elegant, without being over the top.
- The dining room at deseo is secluded, one flight down, away from the other hotel happenings.
- Sit at the ceviche bar if you enjoy watching the chefs prepare the cuisine. There is a small outdoor dining area.
- The diners at deseo seem to be mostly hotel guests. I don't recommend deseo for children.
- deseo has been recognized by Wine Spectator as having one of the best wine lists in Arizona.
- deseo is open for cocktails and dinner, 7 days per week. Reservations are suggested.
Guide Review - deseo at the Westin Kierland Resort and Spa
Experience Latin America cuisine, designed for deseo by James Beard award-winning chef, Douglas Rodriguez.
The variety of wonderful flavors, colors and textures at deseo is what makes it one of my favorite fine dining experiences in the Valley. The mojito and muddle menu is a perfect place to start while you peruse the food offerings at deseo. So many of the ceviche choices tempt me that I can't help but order the create-your-own trio, pictured above with a rainbow ceviche, millionaire taco with lobster and ahi, and ecuadorian shrimp. The kobe meatballs, shrimp chicharron and oyster fritters rodriguez appetizers are all highly recommended. Beef tenderloin with crab would make any surf and turf lover happy. I had previously been enthralled with the duck breast, but on this visit I found that the chilean sea bass with fideo was a perfect companion to some of the sweeter flavors of the ceviche and appetizers.
Welcome dessert menu! These are not your typical bread pudding and mud cake selections. Unique flavors, colors and combinations create an imaginative dessert list. For a not-too-sweet surprise, try the cherry rice pudding. For a chocolate fix, ask for the amusing and delicious chocolate cigar with cappuccino gelato. It is a conversation piece -- and then it's gone!
Deseo is colorful, sleek, and modern. Candles and artwork by Nelson Garcia-Miranda add the warmth to the dining room which I had found lacking in the past.
As is common in the industry, the writer was provided with a complimentary meal for the purpose of the review. While it has not influenced this review, About.com believes in full disclosure of all potential conflicts of interest. For more information, see our ethics policy. All prices and offering mentioned herein are subject to change without notice. (09/08)