The Bottom Line
- The filet mignon - wow!
- Central Phoenix location
- Only one in Arizona
- Prime rib not a regular menu item
- Donovan's Steak and Chop House is open only for dinner and is closed on Sundays.
- The bar area at Donovan's Steak and Chop House is inviting and busy.
- Prime beef, the best beef that is available, is the only kind of beef offered at Donovan's. The seafood is fresh.
- The ambiance at Donovan's is what I call "upscale steakhouse." Dark colors, dark lighting.
- Worthwhile noticing: the many wonderful western-themed bronze statues situated throughout the dining rooms.
- The wine list at Donovan's Steak and Chop House is widely acclaimed.
- There is a dress code at Donovan's.
- Free valet parking is provided.
Guide Review - Donovan's Steak and Chop House
We tried two appetizers at Donovan's. The Fried Calamari ($9) pieces were small, but not chewy or overcooked. The Bacon Wrapped Scallops ($12) were overcooked and dry, and were wrapped in bacon that was undercooked.
Dessert descriptions on the menu are nonexistent, so we asked our server to describe them. They were nice, but uninspired. For this type of restaurant, desserts were reasonable priced at $7 to $8.
Service at Donovan's is a team effort, and they were all pleasant. While the service was excellent from certain perspectives (my beverage glass never fully emptied), in other areas the service was strangely lacking (for example, unused wine glasses not removed; bread taken, but not butter plate). Hardly a condemnation, but noticeable.
I've given Donovan's a high rating, because when it comes to what's most important, they do it very well--beef. Aside from that, I wasn't as impressed as my companions were. After all, I started out disappointed, since prime rib is not a regular menu item and wasn't available on a Saturday night.
All prices and offerings are subject to change without notice. 06/07