The Bottom Line
- Fat free -- woo hoo!
- Choice of flavors and toppings
- Nutritional info available for everything
- Some locations offer free wireless Internet
- Low calorie, but not calorie free
- Toppings are tempting, but add calories
- No milk shakes, coffee, or other products, just cups or cones.
- Topping servings are small
- Golden Spoon Frozen Yogurt has locations in Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert and Ahwatukee. Expansion from CA to AZ is recent.
- There are no coffee drinks or milk shakes or other specialty items offered here, just frozen yogurt, cup or cone.
- Hours of Golden Spoon Frozen Yogurt locations in the Valley of the Sun vary a bit, but they are all closed on Sundays.
- Don't forget to have a frequent-yogurt-eater card stamped for your purchase. After 8 purchases, you get one free.
- All the nutritional information for every item, flavor and topping is listed at the Golden Spoon Frozen Yogurt web site.
- All the frozen yogurt choices (except one) at Golden Spoon Frozen Yogurt are about 17 calories per ounce.
Guide Review - Golden Spoon Frozen Yogurt
I'll begin with a tip if you promise not to tell anyone. I learned that if you order a small (8 oz) cup of yogurt, you can ask for 4 different flavors. I got Cafe Latte, Just Chocolate, Heath Bar, and New York Cheesecake. I'd pass on the Heath Bar next time--it tasted like vanilla to me. But here's the thing--next time I go in, the flavor choices might be different. Stores offer between 10 and 12 of the nearly 50 available flavors, and rotate them monthly.
There are several sizes available: mini, small, regular and large. They range in price from about $2 to about $3.50. Pints and quarts are also available. Two cone types, plain and waffle, are available. Prices in the greater Phoenix area may vary, since there are different owners.
There is a nice selection of hot, fruit, nut and candy toppings. Some are even fat free. Even though a topping was only a dollar, I was disappointed. The nutritional charts indicate values for 3 heaping tablespoons of toppings. I doubt that I got even 1 heaping tablespoon. Not sure how they'd even get 3 heaping tablespoons of toppings in those cups or on a cone, so I guess the good news is that those toppings aren't adding as many calories.
The Golden Spoon Frozen Yogurt location that I stopped at in Ahwatukee was bright and clean and the staff was pleasant.
There are no sugar-free offerings. If you are lactose intolerant, I recommend not stopping here. Notwithstanding the photographs on the web site and on the brochures, I did not notice any fresh fruits, like strawberries or bananas. Fruit toppings looked to be of the thawed variety. For a buck, I'm not complaining, just saying....
Will I stop again? Maybe not, if there's a gelato place close. But if I wanted to keep those calories down and I was nearby, I would certainly stop in.
All dates, prices and offerings are subject to change without notice.