The Bottom Line
- Fantastic beef and seafood
- Large sides to share
- Live piano music
- Everything is a la carte
- Mastro's City Hall Steakhouse is open for dinner every night.
- Resort casual or business attire is appropriate.
- Reservations are highly recommended at Mastro's City Hall Steakhouse.
- Mastro's is recognized for its wine offerings and has received the Award of Excellence by Wine Spectator.
- The dinner menu lists wines available by the glass and a few bottles of wine in the less than $100 range.
- Not a beef eater? Seafood is also on the menu at Mastro's City Hall Steakhouse.
- Vegetarians would do well ordering from the wonderful selections of side dishes.
- All menu choices are a la carte. Side dishes are intended for sharing, and are large enough for 2 or 3 people.
- The bar/lounge area at Mastro's City Hall Steakhouse is comfortable and inviting. There is dancing late in the week/weekends.
- I don't recommend that you bring children to Mastro's City Hall Steakhouse.
Guide Review - Mastro's City Hall Steakhouse
The etched glass panels surrounding the dark and tasteful dining room at Mastro's City Hall Steakhouse, create the desired setting for this upscale steakhouse in Scottsdale.
Every course was an experience in fine dining at Mastro's. With many appealing appetizers and salads, I opted to try the house specialty: The Iced Seafood Tower. Beautifully presented and delicious, this will be an expensive choice no matter how you build it.
The signature dishes here are clearly beef, and plenty of it. I never would have guessed that I would love the KC Strip even more than my usual filet! Most portions are served in the 12 to 22 oz. range. Our side dish choices, Sugar Snap Peas and Crab Gnocchi (I loved it!), were huge. Warm Butter Cake was my dessert of choice.
Was it perfect? The musician was not up to the standard I would have expected, steaks that we were told would be pink were not (they more more well done than pink), the bread was over-baked and slightly burned on the bottom. I am glad that we were not sitting next to two young men wearing tee shirts and sweat pants; I think Mastro's should consider enforcing a dress code.
Still, minor annoyances did not spoil my experience here. Aside from serving their steaks on ultra-hot sizzling plates, Mastro's doesn't dress up their food with artistic frilly, sugar or flower designs. It's great steaks with wonderful sides and excellent service. That's what we were hoping for. We left Mastro's City Hall Steakhouse saying, "Wow."
As is common in the industry, the writer was provided with a complimentary meal for the purpose of the review. While it has not influenced this review, About.com believes in full disclosure of all potential conflicts of interest. For more information, see our ethics policy. All prices and offerings mentioned herein are subject to change without notice. 01/08