It seems that whenever any disaster strikes, scam artists are just waiting to take advantage of unsuspecting good-hearted citizens.
Summer means wildfire season in Arizona. According to the City of Phoenix, phone solicitors falsely representing firefighters across Arizona might call during wildfire season trying to collect money. The callers say they are firefighters representing groups such as:
- Arizona Association of Firefighters
- Arizona Disable Firefighters Association
- Associated Firefighters of Arizona
- Association of Disabled Firefighters
- Disabled Firefighters of Arizona
- Fire and Paramedic News
- Firefighters Association of America
- Foundation for Disabled Firefighters
- Phoenix Firefighters
- Phoenix Firefighters Association
- Professional Firefighters Gazette
- Professional Firefighters of Arizona
The callers will say they collect funds for many Fire Department programs, including the Phoenix Fire Departments bereavement services for families of firefighters lost in the line of duty, Camp Courage Burn Camp and more. Some of these phone solicitors have told citizens that if they do not donate money, they will not receive Fire Department assistance when needed.
These callers do not represent any legitimate Fire Department organizations, and money should not be donated to their causes.
If you receive a call from a fire department organization soliciting money, hang up. If you have a question regarding the legitimacy of any organization representing a Fire Department, call the Professional Firefighters of Arizona at 602-277-1500.
The preceding information was obtained from a press release issued by the City of Phoenix.