The Waste Management Phoenix Open is one of the first PGA golf events of the calendar year. It was known as the FBR Open from 2004 through 2009, and prior to 2004 it was called The Phoenix Open. The 2014 edition will mark the 79th playing of the tournament. It is known as “The Greatest and Greenest Show on Grass.”
The Waste Management Phoenix Open is the best attended golf tournament in the world every year. Typically, nearly half a million spectators attend this event. Attendance in 2013 was estimated to be over 500,000. A new record was set on Saturday, when attendance was marked at just over 179,000 people.
Because of the layout of the course and the parking, this event never sells out. Everyone who wants to attend can go. Why is it so popular? Could it be because of the location in beautiful Scottsdale, Arizona? Could it be because the weather is usually wonderful and sunny? Could it be because the best golfers in the world come to play in this prestigious event? The answers are yes, yes, and yes.
2013 Phoenix Open Results
In 2013 Phil Mickelson made his 24th appearance at the Phoenix Open. He won just over a million bucks with his first place finish (60, 65, 64, 67 for a total 256).
Monday, January 27 through Sunday, February 2, 2014. Here is the schedule of events for the entire tournament.
What's New in 2014?
- The price of a general admission grounds ticket went up this year. It was steady at $25 for many years, but in 2014 it increases to $30 per ticket.
- New security procedures for all PGA events begin in January. Opaque (not see-through) bags are not to exceed 6"x 6"x 6". Clear tote bags, plastic, vinyl, or other carry items are not to exceed 12"x 6"x 12". Approved clear plastic bags will be provided at the entrance and at shuttle drop-off points. No backpacks allowed this year! No purses allowed this year! No binocular cases allowed this year!
- On Monday through Wednesday, still cameras with lenses 6" or smaller only are permitted.
- The new “Go for the Glory” closest-to-the-pin contest uses the Aquimo Pin High App. The contest runs from December 16, 2013 through February 9, 2014. You can virtually play the famous Waste Management Phoenix Open 16th hole by interacting with the mobile app. The app is available for download and use on Apple devices (IOS5+), and is expected to be available on Android devices by January 1, 2014. Users swing the phone just like a club, and may take unlimited swings each day while in “Practice Mode.” To enter the contest, access the “Tournament Mode.” You can take a maximum of nine swings on the virtual 16th hole each day. There are qualifying rounds and a final round. Prizes will be awarded. The Grand Prize Winner will be announced on February 10, 2014 and will receive two 16th Hole Skybox tickets to three days of the 2015 Waste Management Phoenix Open and a three night hotel stay at the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess Resort. Here are all the particulars.
Cool Things to Know
- The entire course will be a giant hot spot with free wi-fi.
- This event never sells out.
- Yes, there's an app for that. You can download the Waste Management Phoenix Open app to get hole-by-hole descriptions, maps and scoring updates.
- Waste Management will continue last year's "Zero Waste Challenge" with 6,000 recycling and compost bins and three 40-yard dumpsters transformed to become staffed, interactive Zero Waste Stations. Eighty-eight percent of tournament signage from the 2013 tournament was stored for reuse during the 2014 tournament.
- All active, reserve and military retirees and one accompanied guest will be admitted free of charge, every day at the 2014 Waste Management Phoenix Open. Eligible personnel must present their official military ID or badge at a ticket booth at the main tournament entrance. Do not purchase tickets in advance. Tickets are limited to two per day, per each official military ID. Once in the tournament, all active, reserve and military retirees and their guests are invited to visit the Birdies for the Brave Patriots’ Outpost located near the 18th tee box.
Page 1: Phoenix Open Schedule
Page 2: About TPC Scottsdale
Page 3: The Thunderbirds
Page 4: Hotels, Tickets, Parking
Page 5: Birds Nest
More event details, information and tips -- Your Guide to the Phoenix Open in Scottsdale.
All event information, prices and times subject to change without notice.