All the teams practice prior to the Spring Training season starting as well as in between games. The pitchers and catchers usually report for first practices in mid-February, and the other position players report the following week. Typically, practice sessions begin between 9 or 10 a.m. People will arrive early to try to get autographs as the players and coaches arrive. Another strategy for autographs is to be there when the players leave, usually around lunchtime.
The newer stadiums have many practice fields, so you may be walking around to see different drills and different positions at work. Likewise, newer stadiums tend to have plenty of viewing space for spectators, and there may be concessions or souvenir shops open. You may be able to bring lawn chairs at the facilities where there is more space. The typical way to watch spring training practice session is view from outside a fence.
One final tip: attending a Spring Training practice isn't like watching a game. It can be boring, depending on which skills and drills the players are working on.
There is no charge to attend a Cactus League team practice session. There is no charge to park. They are usually not well-attended, so there's no need to worry about crowds.
Spring Training Practice SessionsHere are the Spring Training practice locations for the teams of the Cactus League. All practice sessions are held in the Greater Phoenix area, as are all Spring Training games. Here is an interactive map of all the Cactus League Spring Training stadiums.
- Anaheim Angels practice at Tempe Diablo Stadium practice fields.
- Arizona Diamondbacks practice at Salt River Fields practice fields.
- Chicago Cubs practice at the practice fields at Cubs Park in Mesa.
- Chicago White Sox practice at Camelback Ranch - Glendale practice fields.
- Cleveland Indians practice at Goodyear Ballpark practice fields.
- Cincinnati Reds practice at Goodyear Ballpark practice fields.
- Colorado Rockies practice at Salt River Fields practice fields.
- Kansas City Royals practice at Surprise Stadium practice fields.
- Los Angeles Dodgers practice at Camelback Ranch - Glendale practice fields.
- Milwaukee Brewers practice at Maryvale practice fields.
- Oakland Athletics practice at Phoenix Muni Stadium. The Minor League training facility is located at Papago Baseball Facility in Phoenix, Galvin Parkway/64th Street and McDowell Rd. inside Papago Park.
- San Diego Padres practice at Peoria Sports Complex.
- San Francisco Giants practice at Scottsdale Stadium's practice field.
- Seattle Mariners practice at Peoria Sports Complex practice fields.
- Texas Rangers practice at Surprise Stadium practice fields.
Everything you need to know to get in on Cactus League action -- team schedules, tickets, stadium information, maps, team gear, photos -- can be found in the Arizona Spring Training, Cactus League Guide.