Spring Training in Arizona - 2013
By Judy Hedding, About.com Guide
Exactly one half of the teams of Major League Baseball come to the Phoenix area each spring to play Cactus League exhibition games. During this month-long event the 15 teams will warm-up their contract players to get ready for regular season action in April. Players trying to make the roster will also play in Spring Training baseball games. Tickets are reasonably priced and nothing tastes better than a hot dog with a beverage of your choice in the Phoenix sunshine!
Here is everything you need to know -- and maybe some things you never knew -- about Cactus League Baseball.
- Cactus League Team Schedules
- Buying Tickets for Spring Training Baseball
- Plan Your Game Day
- At the Game
- Spring Training Pictures
- Shop for Baseball Stuff
- General Spring Training Baseball Information
- When You Aren't at the Game...
- Share Your Point of View
Cactus League Team Schedules
Spring Training Baseball takes place over the course of about a month, usually beginning in late February or early March. Schedules for the teams usually start trickling in during November and December, but changes and updates are common all the way up to when tickets go on sale.
With 15 teams in Cactus League, there often seven or eight games every day from which to choose. While most games are scheduled in the daytime, there are some evening games.
- Schedules For Each Baseball Team in the Cactus League
- Month-at-a-Glance Schedule of Cactus League Games
Buying Tickets for Spring Training Baseball
Tickets for Cactus League baseball games are very reasonably priced, ranging from about $8 for berm (grass) seating to $30 or more for box seats. Season tickets are also available for Spring Training games, so if you plan to be in the Phoenix area and want to see all the home games for a particular team, that's probably the way to go. Season tickets typically go on sale before single-game tickets.
- When Do Tickets Go On Sale For Each Cactus League Team?
- Ticket Details For Each Baseball Team in the Cactus League
- Spring Training Festival - Fun and Tickets!
- Seating Charts for the Ten Cactus League Stadiums
- Stadium Tips - You Might Want To Know These Before You Buy Tickets
- What is a Split Squad?
- Buying Tickets From a Scalper? Beware of Fake Tickets
Plan Your Game Day
What will you bring with you to the game? What will you wear? How will you get there? This information will help.
- Typical March Weather in Phoenix
- What to Bring, What Not To Bring
- How to Get To the Game: Interactive Stadiums Map
- Free Trolleys: Camelback-Ranch, Salt River Fields, Tempe Diablo
At the Game
You'll want to know some of these details about getting autographs, things you might hear people say and unusual things you might see.
- How To Tell the Home Team From the Visiting Team
- Best Places to Get Autographs
- Baseball Phrases You Should Know
- Wear a Wild Hat!
Spring Training Pictures
These are pictures of every stadium taken during various Spring Training years. I've been to many Cactus League games in Arizona, and I try to hit at least 3 or 4 stadiums every year.
Shop for Baseball Stuff
Be sure that you have the appropriate items to adequately cheer on your favorite Cactus League team. You'll find jerseys, tee shirts, caps and other apparel for men, women and children. There are watches, flags and tailgating equipment. You can purchase office items, kitchen items, toys...you get the picture. You favorite team's logo is on each item and they are officially licensed by Major League Baseball.
- Diamondbacks, Cubs, White Sox, Reds, Indians, Rockies, Royals
- Angels, Dodgers, Brewers, Athletics, Padres, Giants, Mariners, Rangers
- Gear Will Be For Sale at the Spring Training Festival
General Spring Training Baseball Information
Get general information about how Spring Training Baseball works, why they have it, and, if you are going to Florida, what's happening there.
When You Aren't at the Game...
In between today's game and tomorrow's game, there are other things to do and see. It's a great time of year to be in Phoenix!
- Before It Begins: Spring Training Festival
- Where To Stay: Find a Hotel
- Where To Drink: Find a Sports Bar
- Where To See the Sights: Attractions
- Where To Attend an Event: Festival and Event Calendar
- Where To See a Play or Hear Music: Show/Concert Calendar
- Where To Eat: Find a Restaurant
- Play Ball! The Cactus League Experience Exhibit
Share Your Point of View
Tell us what you think of the stadiums, practice sessions and Phoenix area sports bars!