Did you know that kids ages 6 through 18 who live in Tempe, Arizona get to ride all Phoenix area public transportation for free? The Tempe Youth Free Transit Pass is a terrific program that saves families money while affording Tempe kids a way to develop their independence. Encouraging the use of public transportation when people are young also helps reduce our carbon footprint now, and will make those children more prone to take advantage public transportation in the future.
What are the requirements to get a Tempe Youth Free Transit Pass?
- You must be between 6 and 18 years old.
- You must live in the City of Tempe, Arizona.
Do I have to show financial need or prove that I am poor?No, this program is not based on financial need. Every one who meets the above two requirements is eligible to apply for one.
What is the procedure for getting a Tempe Youth Free Transit Pass?
- Download a registration form or get one at the Tempe Transit Store located at 200 E. Fifth St. (Fifth Street and Forest Avenue)
- A parent or guardian must accompany kids ages 6-17 to get the pass.
- Child and parent/guardian must also bring:
- youth’s birth certificate
- parent/guardian's photo ID
- a recent utility bill (water, cable, electric, phone) showing a Tempe address
- in the case of step parent or legal guardian, a copy of your marriage license or state guardianship papers.
- If you are 18 years old and you live on your own, you don't have to bring a parent or guardian. The utility bill that you bring as proof of Tempe residency must have your name on it.
What is the fee for the passes?There is no charge. The Tempe Youth Transit pass (bus and light rail pass) is free. If you lose it, the City of Tempe will charge a small fee to replace it.
When and where can I use the Tempe free bus pass?Use is not restricted to Tempe. It is not restricted to school days. You can use it on any Valley Metro bus or METRO light rail. The passes are valid from July 1 to June 30 each year. Every day. No restrictions, no catches, no fine print.
What else do I need to know?The pass will deactivate on your 19th birthday. If you move out of Tempe, you must return your pass to the City of Tempe since the program is only for Tempe residents.
What a great deal! Where do I go to get one?You can get the pass at the Tempe Transit Store located at 200 E. Fifth Street Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Free one hour public parking is located at 117 E. Fifth St. across from the Transportation Center.
What if I have more questions?Visit the City of Tempe Transportation Program online or call the Tempe Transit Store at 480-858-2350.
All dates, times, prices and offerings are subject to change without notice.