Stung by the pool
- About 1-1/2 hrs ago I got stung as I was rolling up a temporary plastic fence by the pool in my garden. At first I thought I hit a splinter with my big toe, from somewhere, as I walked ahead, barefooted, to straighten out the fence. As I stooped to look more closely at the toe I saw the black colored little shit scurrying away and I realized it was a sting! He got stomped! I live in Merida, Yucatan, Mexico. The sting went very rapidly from a small, hot, burning sensation at the sting site to a constant nagging pain with no way out. My wife went on line and we looked up scorpion stings and it said mostly the stings were harmless, but painful, and to put ice on the sting spot. The ice helped tremendously. The cold feeling helped a lot, plus a slight pressure at the sight seemed to help as well. The nasty pain lasted about an hour, then it became somewhat numb and tingly. At this moment all has subsided and no further symptoms have occured.
- —Guest Dez
Stung last night
- I live in southern Mexico tropics...lots of scorpions here yellow and brown. Last night one fell from the ceiling and landed on my bare chest and stung me......Neighbor chopped garlic mixed with clorox made a poltice....then had me eat lots of fresh garlic and drink a ton of water....no air or ice...All better today
- —Guest Jeannie
severe reactions to my 6 year old
- within 15 minutes of my son getting stung on his barely swollen finger, he started salivating alot, ALOT! I had to grab a huge towel for him. Then it followed vomiting every few minutes to every few seconds. I had to take him to the hospital with a towel on his lap cause he wouldn't stop. Then his whole body started twitching. crying and screaming. He looked in an insane amount of pain. He couldn't even walk. In an hour he got a fever, he was extremely restless. His heart was racing. His eyes roved so fast it was creepy. btw, Sunrise is the ONLY Hospital in Vegas, to have the antivenom. So next time we get stung, were going directly to Sunrise. ALWAYS take your little one to hospital no matter how trivial it seems at first. my boy could have died. He was bit by a bark Scorpion in Henderson, NV
- —Guest Henderson NV Resident
Second sting the worst!
- I've just been stung for the second time (first time on my upper arm) on my upper thigh. Stung me right through my clothes and I saw the little sucker go scurry off under a throw rug. Let me tell ya..... don't get stung by one of these little aliens cause it hurts like a sonofa @!#$%!!!! I have an ice pack on it now but it's hard to even walk around! Feels like someone keeps sticking a hot needle in my leg with radiating pain coming from the sting sight!
- —Guest Susan
- I was packing some stuff to head out of town and I remembered somethings that were in the car I wanted to pack. Not thinking, I went out into the garage barefoot. Sure enough, I stepped on the thing and thought it was a pin prick till I saw it. I've been icing it and it helps, but so far the only symptom is the pain and my foot is numb.
- —Guest Ryan
TREATMENTS THAT WORK!!
- I have not been stung yet , ( knock on wood) but my house has these little jerks. My dad had told me that 1 of his friends was stung. His friend stuck his toe in windex, the blue one with ammonia, and in about 20 minutes he was all better, like if nothing ever happened!!! :) also i heard that baking soda helps.. as soon as your stung get baking soda and mix it with water, be sure to make it a little thick almost like a paste and put directly on the area. the sizzle and foaming should automatically kill the venom!!! hopefully this will help someone. - - - [From the About.com Guide: The fact that I have approved this post does not mean that I agree with or recommend such treatments for scorpion stings.]
- —Guest Cyndy Lou
From One AZ Native To Another
- I woke up this morning in excrutiating pain. My upper right arm down to my finger tips felt like someone was jabbing white hot needles in and out of me. I couldn't move my arm and I was really sick to my stomach. I called Banner Health and described my symptoms. They patched me through to Poison Control. Sure enough, SCORPION! They told me to wash the effected area and ice it, which I did. They were extremely nice and even called me 3 times during the day to make sure I was ok. Six hours later, I felt well enough to look for the culprit. I found it under a couch cushion DEAD. I was really lucky, it was a bark scorpion and although I am still in A LOT of pain it was a mild invenomation. I have lived in AZ all my life, I have seen a ton of scorpions. I am the only one I know that has been stung by one. I now have a great respect and even greater fear of them. Time to move to Iceland!
- —Guest Debra
Stung by a Bark Scorpion
- thanks for the photos posted here on About.com, I was able to identify my culprit as an AZ Bark Scorpion. UGH. I killed it (5 times, with my shoe !!! ) and took it with me to the hospital. My foot hurt like CRAZY and the pain radiated out pretty quickly. I went to the local ER right away, after putting ice on my foot, ice didn't seem to help. The ER doctor injected something into my foot that stopped the pain, and stopped it from spreading. No muscle twitches or eye-rolling, thank God! Time for an exterminator...5 scorpions seen inside the house in the last 4 months. Husband doesn't agree and won't get an exterminator. But he hasn't been stung. Yet.
- —Guest Peg
Stung In Vegas
- yesterday I was unloading a dresser that I got from my rental house from my trailer when I felt a poke. It felt like I put the tip of my middle finger on a nail and it went into my skin. Then I saw a bark scorpion. It felt a little worse then a wasp sting. The pain was bad for a few minutes then I took a pain killer and it helped some. At first it was just pain. then it took about a hour to start feeling a little dizzy. I also had pains and numbness up my arm After about 8 hours the skin on the top of my arm was extremely sensative and my hand was still partially knumb. Now it is almost 24 hours later and just the finger that was stung is halfway knumb and hurts to the touch. kinda like a pins and needles feeling. Was thinking that maybe I should have gone to the doctor but thanks to the internet it looks like my symptoms are common for a non emergency Bark Scorpion sting. The Scorpion did recieve a death sentence for stinging me with immediate inforcement
- —Guest Danny
have been stung 5 different times
- thank God their not poisonious here in N.M. but damn it hurts like fire running through you. They have gotten me in bed every time i am clean its just that i have been stung three times the first time and twice the second time. I love my bed but it sure makes it hard to feel safe there. Am spring cleaning today!!!!!!
- —Guest the one they love
Son stung on leg
- My 20 yo son was just stung, in his bed. Stung him just below his left knee. We washed the sting with soap and water and then put an ice compress on it. Still hurting alot but no other problems so far.
- —Guest Animal
- I was stung this weekend by a little might of a guy, a light brown scorpion with a small 1/2" diameter body. Lifted a garbage bag to get stung in the tip of my finger next to my pinky. It burned, and at first I thought I had been stung by a wasp, but upon dropping the garbage bag, I knocked this tyke to the ground and he screwed post haste under a tent. The tip of my finger is still numb, now 3 days later, altho better. I should have been more careful I guess, because I'm extremely allergic to bee/wasp stings and had no idea how I would respond to this bastard's sting. Turned out I was fine, but the numbness continued down my finger to the joint. All in all, after washing every last piece of laundry when I got home, dirty cloths were all washed with a dose of bleach.
- —Guest Don
Woke me up
- Woke up this morning with my wrist just killing me. Thought I really slept on it wrong, couldn't get comfortable, had intense pain. Got up and took some advil, but it really didn't help at all. Felt like someone wacked it with a sledge hammer. We see scorpions all the time here in AZ, my son uses the black light to find them, cats play with them and kill them. But I guess I was finally stung. Checked my bed later in the day when I thought of it, but didn't find him. I'll be checking my bed and room with the black light tonight...don't want a repeat of that. Hurts pretty bad still after 8hrs.
- —Guest Sue
2 y/o daughter was stung
- My daughter stepped on a scorpion and was stung--it was horrible. The affects started right around 20 mins after she was bit. She complained about her stomach hurting at first then she started foaming at her mouth and then her body started twitching. We rushed to the ER and she started having eye rolls and she was really twisting and moving (maybe convulsing) and they just gave her antihistamines and pain medicine and after 2.5 days in the hospital she was playing around like nothing happened. This was the scariest time of our lives.
Stung last night
- I got stung last night by a bark scorpion on the left side of my foot, just standing in my kitchen. My house is infested with the little bastards so I'm not suprised (AZ). The house is only 5 years old and my previous houses never had this problem. He was a big sucker, about 2 inches. Immediately I had some pain and a tingly sensation like when your foot's asleep that slowly spread around my left foot and about half way up the knee. It is the next morning now and still have this tingly sensation. Weird sensation, hope it goes away soon. Otherwise I am feeling fine.
- —Guest James